Shooters Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Allot has been said about the Keith 250 #429421 bullet. It was , and is , the standard by which all .44 mag bullets of to are judged against. You are fortunate indeed, if you have one of the original Lyman moulds cut by Lyle Kilborn. It must be remembered that Elmer had this mould cut for the .44 Special, with a design velocity of 1200 fps in mind. What was great about this design was it carried over into the .44 Mag at 1400+fps. This wide front band had nothing to due with wound channels, etc. It was his thinking that, if it fit the chamber mouths, the bullet would be guided into the barrel better. This design was carried over on the .357" and .454" bullets. Some where I have a mould cut by Lyle, when the .41 Mag came out, that I asked him to use the same proportions as the .429421 and scaled down .410" If I rememder right the weight came in at 210 grs. I used it testing Ruger's first .41 Mag SA. It shot great and I killed a few deer and hogs with it. Elmer went through different phases in his thinking over the years...first, the 45 LC, then a wildcat made one a .401 Win, case (cut back to .44 Special length), then .44 Special, that in turn grew in the .44 Mag...But last, when the .44 Mag was shaking the early S&W 29's apart, he dwelt more on the .41 Mag. What people don't realize is, he had to bend with what the factories would build. He was never satisfied with their crimping the .357 and .44 over the front bullet band. I just thought you would like to see this page out of my loading book, that's is over 45 years old.
Best Regards from The Hammock....James

1 - 1 of 1 Posts