Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be buying dies for my .45-70, and am pondering the pros and cons, as well as the cost, of the various brands. I would expect the Lyman 3 die set to include one of their good type M expanding dies. Do any of you have this set, and do you like it? Does it come with the type M die? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I have a set of Lyman dies

I bought my set 30 some odd years ago, then I decided that the RCBS die set was more accurate. I used both die sets for a lot of years without a problem. Yes, the Lyman die set came with the M-die.
I now use a Redding die set, with the Lyman M-die and the Redding Pro-crimp die. The Redding dies are the best of the three sets.
Jim

·
Super Moderator
3,365 Posts
I'll have to second the motion that Redding are quite possibly the very best production dies manufactured today. They are worth every dime of their investment.

I also like the Hornady New Dimension dies. They are VERY good dies as well, and somewhat more affordable. They are perhaps the best dimensionally held tolerances in the industry due to their manufacturing techniques.

CH dies are also high on my favorites list... a little bit of a wait for them, but no more money than the Redding, and excellent dies that will last a lifetime.

The truth of the matter is that most any of the major die manufacturers, even with their entry level price point dies, are better dimensionally than dies we purchased back in the '70's, simply due to CNC machining capabilites holding tighter tolerances than were possible then.

God Bless,

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,315 Posts
Whatever die set you buy, if it doesn't come with a Lyman "M" expander, THEN GET ONE! It will save you a ton of grief at the loading bench and the range.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I've been using Lyman dies for my 38-56,40-65,40-82 and 45-90 WCF cartridges for some time now and am very satisfied with them. They cost a fraction of RCBS products and perform every bit as well. By the way, Redding case forming dies are the only way to go. :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
I use Lyman dies for my 45-90. I like them. I also have several sets of RCBS and Lee dies. The Lee dies are OK, ugly but OK. RCBS are as always, reliable, well made and expensive. I'd go with the Lyman dies unless you are a serious benchrest guy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts