Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Beartooth Regular
1,118 Posts
I don't think it's a question of which is generally a better bullet, but which works most accurately in your guns. I've always had great results from my Lyman 2-cavity block, but I also know others who will swear by their RCBS moulds. Unfortunately one won't know which is "better" until they've bought and used both.

·
Registered
51 Posts
These moulds aren't as similar as you might think. I have both and using the same alloy the Lyman weighs only 240-241 grains to the RCBS 255+.

Meplats are close but the RCBS looks bigger.  I greatly prefer the RCBS mould.

Lyman drives me nuts! They have cancelled most of their best moulds. (454424, 452649GC etc)

PS the RCBS 270 SAA is a gem of a bullet mould

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I've used the RCBS and the Lyman molds. They both are great products and throw a nice bullet, but both have one major problem, from my experience. They are set up to throw a .452 bullets. My three 45 Colts and the three 45 Colts my shooting buddy has lead like crazy with them. Once I found an old 4 cavity mold, by Lyman, at a gun show, that throws a 255 grain .454 full wadcutter my leading problem was ended. All I did was use the same powder charge and seated the wadcutter deeper into the case.
I have since purchased two 4 cavity molds from Saeco, that throw a .454, 255 grain SWC. I have no leading problems and accuracy is great!
That old full wadcutter mold is also being used to make some gilt edge plinking loads. This bullet looks a beer can with a roundish dome on it.
My advice is stick with .454 molds in your 45 Colt and lessen your frustration.
Jim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts