Shooters Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just received the new 48th. Edition of the Lyman Reloading Manual. I like the new format of the individual data pages, it is just a little different from previous editions. The pictures of the bullets are a little smaller but they include the B.C. and the S.D.
The accuracy load for each bullet is listed in Bold print.
No other reloading manual contains such a variety of reduced and cast bullet loading data. Where else could you find reduced load data with pressure information for the 7mm Rem Ultra Mag, or 300Remington SAUM or .30-378 Weatherby and many other new cartridges such as the Winchester Short Magnums?
The data for the .357 Magnum, .44 Magnum and .45 Colt were taken from Winchester M-94 AE carbines. I liked that; the Winchesters are good cast bullet rifles.
I like that the data for the .357 and .44 Magnums was taken from 4" barrels, and that the information on the .45 Colt was taken from a 7.5" barrel.
Lyman cannot please everyone and I have some criticism of the book. None of my criticism should discourage you from purchasing this manual, it is a very useful book.
First, the soft cover book is no longer pre-drilled for insertion in a three ring binder. This book will be used a lot over the next few years, my 46th. and my 47th. Editions are still in pretty good shape, inside their three ring binders.
There is no data for the .350 Remington Magnum, .307 or .356 Winchester cartridges, I think Lyman missed a good chance to lead the way with some useful cast bullet information on these interesting cartridges.
The .358 Winchester and .35 Whelen data does not include the 225 grain Sierra SPBT bullet. I find this a disappointing omission.
The data in the rifle section for the .32-20 was taken from a 14" pressure barrel.
Commentary for the .25-20WCF includes: "Data is brief due to the limited popularity of the cartridge." I think that could have been left out. I like the .25-20, I have two rifles in this caliber and I know of others who load for the cartridge also. Lyman already has a lot of data on the .25-20, they could have included it without negative comments.
I am a fan of the .32 Magnum and I found the data for this cartridge a little skimpy.
The .454 Casull section does not include data for Winchester 296, Hodgdon 110 or Hodgdon 'Lil Gun powder. Winchester 296 and Hodgdon 110 are clear performance leaders for this cartridge and I wonder why they were not tested. Hodgdon 'Lil Gun is proving to be a winner in the .454 and there is very little published data available at this time. Load data for W-296 and H-110 are listed in the .480 Ruger data section, go figure.
I noticed that the .30 Herrett, .357 Herrett and .357 Maximum have been dropped from the book. Lyman had some pretty good data available for these cartridges. What would it have cost to include data they already have?
Despite these criticisms, which really are pretty small, this is a very useful manual and well worth its modest price.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Reloading Manuals

Have always considered the Lyman manuals to be the best of the lot on an all around basis. I buy the majority of them, and have for many years. Lyman has almost always been conservative, realistic, and has cast and jacketed info. In addition the articles in the books over the years have been outstanding. I like Lee's manuals and have always bought Hornady and usually Sierra's, and sometimes Speer. Ya just can't have to many reloading manauals, and you will never have adequate on hand to satisfy me at least. As to leaving some ctgs. out, well, that's the publishers perogative I guess, but there is data for them in previous editions or from other companies. Also like the way that Lee lists Vol/press from high to low, as well as the Lee starting recommendations as a basis. Find it quite usefull.

Paul Nichols

1 - 2 of 2 Posts