Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just ordered a lyman 525 gr slug mold:D does anybody have any experance with this bullet i have a lee 1 oz mold that i modified for a bigger meplat and more lead it is droppes 461.7 gr now but i am thinking of hunting with it and the lyman slug is a better design to smash compared to the lee

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I have been playing with loadings for the Lyman off and on for some years now. I use it in an old Savage 430 O/U. It has proven to be a good shooter at least out to 50 yards from that smoothbore. Shoots right to point of aim.
I have used the Unique based loads from Lyman's shotshell data. Work just fine.
Pete

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
well nobody was interested in my post except peteD thankyou i got my mold i cast some soft medium and hard slugs the soft being pure lead except some added tin and the hard being linotype the medium was wheelweights all were quenched in ice water and allowed to cure for 2 weeks(i know it should be a month but could not wait any longer) the soft ones were ok that is all i have to say for them but the medium and hard WOW very very accurate the linotype was punching clean holes in 3/16 steel plate and clean through a 12 inch heavey dry pine log their is something to be said for something with that much mass and penetration i dont think you could find anything in north america that the hard slug wouldent go clean through i am shooting them very hot well above 45 gr of bluedot close to 1700 fps out of a benelli nova and franchi 710 variomax i am scared to shoot these loads out of a gun not chambered for 3 1/2 i am not new to casting or reloading centerfire or scatter gun but doing these slugs was a real eye opener for how much power and push a slug reloaded slug has i plan to try and replicate this next time i will post my results it does not mean a damm thing unless it is done three times in reloading just like science

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Are you using a smoth bore or rifled barrel - I know they are designed for rifled barrel but have seen a few good reports using a smooth bore.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i am useing smoothbore on both guns and 28 in barrels i just melted some lee slugs and made lyman slugs and plan to do this with all my lee slugs

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
results

i went shooting this weekend and upped my charge .7of a grain and got the exact same results i am very pleased with this load

·
Registered
31 Posts
i went shooting this weekend and upped my charge .7of a grain and got the exact same results i am very pleased with this load
I am very interested in your load development as I am planning on casting some real hard cast lyman sabots my self and I am just starting to get the components together ...what type of wad and hull are you useing?? primer?? 1700fps is right where I want to be with my loads to .....I have a few things I do to harden my cast 45-70slugs and I would be happy to share that info with you if you are not already ice water quenching and air hardening your slugs. thanks for your time.....Jonathan:D

·
Registered
416 Posts
i am shooting them very hot well above 45 gr of bluedot close to 1700 fps
Have you chronographed that load? Reason I ask, I'm loading 49 Grains of Blue Dot with a LEE slug and getting ~1,650 FPS (1,673 FPS published). Seems like a lighter powder charge and a heavier projectile shouldn't give a higher velocity.

DC

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Have you chronographed that load? Reason I ask, I'm loading 49 Grains of Blue Dot with a LEE slug and getting ~1,650 FPS (1,673 FPS published). Seems like a lighter powder charge and a heavier projectile shouldn't give a higher velocity.
my final load was way too hot to post on for fear of somebody replicating it and something bad happening the 2 shotguns i shoot these out of are very strong frame guns the load is more than 49 gr and my slug is hard cast it weighs 500 to 511 my guns are also 28 barrels
what type of wad and hull are you useing?? primer??
i use fed or remington hull win primers and wt12 wads i also reload hardcast buckshot with the same charge

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been casting, loading and shooting deer with these slugs for the last 6 years.

My current load is in Remington Premier Case. Winchester primer, WAA12 wad and 35 grains of Hodgdon Longshot with a regular crimp.

Our entire hunting party is now using them with great success. They shoot great through rifled and smooth bore barrels.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks for the replys folks...longshot load sounds great and I am going to do a slow work up on my bluedot load as well ....I am at 43gr now and I will work up slow unless some one has some published data they would like to share for 2 3/4" winAA or Rem premier or nitro27 cases with blue dot and Win.WT12, WAA12R,Rem R12H, SP12 or Fed 12C1 wads??? really want to get fast loads for the lyman sabot slug
thanks in advanced Jonathan

·
Registered
31 Posts
I got to the range today...finally and I fired off about 25-30 Lyman Sabots with some different loads to see what the Savage 210f wanted to eat......I only shot at 50 yards as it was real windy out and I was sighted in with the ST's and I wanted to shoot the lymans and see how they grouped before I changed my scope zero. I found a load that has what I was looking for in the accuracy department ...5 shots one big hole that would all fit on a playing card! to me this is awsome as it is as good as the best groups I was gettting with the $3 per round store bought stuff .....and I had a blast (pardun the pun) casting them and loading them!
I will get some pic's up as soon as I can but here is my load so far AA super handicapped hull Win 209
45gr blue dot powder Win WT12 seated @30lbs and fold crimp

I would love to know what the max is for Blue dot in this combo??? anyone have a lyman book all I have are rifle manuals

Thanks in advanced Jonathan

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Thanks for the good report - That Lyman slug is a winner.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks for the good report - That Lyman slug is a winner.
forgot to mention I have shot these out of three smothbores and they shot great...4-6"@100
off hand!! I won a three gun match with them around 8 years ago and have wanted to make them ever since.....kids work and life just got in the way till now lol:D

·
Registered
296 Posts
Hey if you guys don't mind I would like to jump in here. I am just thinkin about reloading some 12 gauge slugs. I know nothing about reloading slugs. I have loaded shot and pistol ammo for years but never a slug.
I have a ton of Winchester AA 2 /12 hulls around. Can these be loaded for deer? I will be shooting them out of a Deer Slayer ll. This has a fixed rifled barrel? I'm looking for a simple effective round for deer.

thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Lyman lists the max load for their 525 grain slug at 44 grains of Blue Dot for 1474 fps and 9200 psi for a 2 3/4" hull. The max for a 3" hull is 50 grains and 1595 fps at 10500 psi.

Pete

·
Registered
31 Posts
great Pete, thats just what I needed thanks I have no HP signs with the worked up 45gr so thats where I am going to stop!! thanks again

1 - 20 of 20 Posts