Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched a bit about this bullet. I am interested in 1000 fps muzzle velocity loads for practice and plinking. As a mold, or is it mould as I see both spelling, trying one out is expensive.

I am getting my new Deerstalker .54 flinter soon and want to play with some conicals and sabots just for fun and education. My main projectile will be the PB, PRB seems so redundent, for fun shooting. I lke to tinker, gunsmith, and shoot a lot while walking in the bush, seems like the definition of muzzleloading sports.

Has anyone tryed these Lyman .54 Plains bullets in a 1:48 twist? I want to develop a subsonic deer load starting at 1000fps.

How about sabots for plinking only? Cheap lead pistol bullets with ballistics a little better than a PB driven along at 1000fps. Real quiet loads with no sonic crack and cheap powder charges. The external ballistics of these subsonics are very good to 75 yds.

I played with some calculators on line and a heavy bullet with a decent BC often looses 100 to 120fps to 100yards. The wind drift is much less than the same bullet launched at 1400fps and experience three hundred fps velocity loss.

·
Banned
126 Posts
Canuck Bob, I would try the minie ball. With its hollow base, it forms the rifling pretty well. If you like it, you can then buy a mold. I have used them in my .58 and love them.

·
Registered
480 Posts

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I always had good luck in my .54 calibers with maxiball and REAL conicals. I shot some Great Plains conicals and they did good too. I have a minnie ball mold for a .50 and .54 caliber. I am not a fan of the minnie ball at all.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts