Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found a used Lyman .54 cal cap lock pistol at a gun show. Use cap lock rifle & flintlock rifle so not complete novice but never a pistol.
So, the questions come:
  • best powder size.....FFg or FFFg or??
  • ball same as for my .54 rifle?
  • starting load of powder if .530 ball/patch is OK?
thanks for any input.
IBD

·
Super Moderator
3,828 Posts
Welcome to the Forum

I have the same pistol and the instruction manual gives the following load data for the .54 caliber:

.54 caliber .530 round ball 50 grs. FFFG powder

I use a .010" lubricated patch with this powder charge. Hope this helps. All the best...
Gil

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Lyman pistol

thanks for the info that is helpful. A starting place. I will try to get a copy of hte instruction manual from Lyman. Can't be to many pages for a single shot M/L. I have some books to reference to but like to see what real users use.
How does yours shoot? I haven't fired this one yet but now I can try. It seems to have a nice trigger for what it is.

thanks for the welcome too. first day here.

·
Super Moderator
3,828 Posts
Irish Bird Dog

My Lyman .54 caliber percussion pistol shoots a bit high at 25 yards. I will have my gunsmith fit a higher front sight to lower the point of impact and then use a file to get it where I want it. I like to carry my .54 pistol when using my .54 Lyman Trade Rifle or .54 Great Plains Rifle. All the best...
Gil

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks Gil Martin for the info. I will check mine out this wknd weather permiting....it's been below zero last few nights and part of days. I plan to use my pistol for the rendezvous along with my custom flintlock rifle.......would like to have a FL pistol as some point.

·
Registered
480 Posts
That 50 grains of FFFg sounds more like a max load. A lot of people I know use 30 grains of FFFg. That would certainly lower your point of impact. Use that as a starting point and adjust from there. I know it's not the same, but I have an old .45 CVA Kentucky pistol that shoots dead on at 25 yards with a .440 ball, pillow ticking patch lubed with Ballistol oil and 20 grains of FFFg Goex. Start at 30 grains and work up until you find the most accurate load and adjust your sights from there.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
According to my Investarms S.P.A. manual which makes Lyman products, it list:

single shot pistol .54 caliber - max load 50 grains FFFg.

99% of black powder weapons do not shoot their best with a max load. I would load that with 30 grains of powder and shoot it that way. Its not like your hunting with it for now. You could try 50 grains (at your own risk, personally I would not shoot that much 3f in a pistol) if you really want to hunt with it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the updates on pistol loadings.......I think I will start at 30grs and see where we go from there. Don't need a wrist breaker shooting for fun.
I see what the chart said Cuyugad but good advise to start lower as you point out.

good advise Cowpoke too about impact being influenced by powder charge.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts