Shooters Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Inactive
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found a used Lyman .54 cal cap lock pistol at a gun show. Use cap lock rifle & flintlock rifle so not complete novice but never a pistol.
So, the questions come:
  • best powder size.....FFg or FFFg or??
  • ball same as for my .54 rifle?
  • starting load of powder if .530 ball/patch is OK?
thanks for any input.
IBD

·
Inactive
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Lyman pistol

thanks for the info that is helpful. A starting place. I will try to get a copy of hte instruction manual from Lyman. Can't be to many pages for a single shot M/L. I have some books to reference to but like to see what real users use.
How does yours shoot? I haven't fired this one yet but now I can try. It seems to have a nice trigger for what it is.

thanks for the welcome too. first day here.

·
Inactive
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks Gil Martin for the info. I will check mine out this wknd weather permiting....it's been below zero last few nights and part of days. I plan to use my pistol for the rendezvous along with my custom flintlock rifle.......would like to have a FL pistol as some point.

·
Inactive
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the updates on pistol loadings.......I think I will start at 30grs and see where we go from there. Don't need a wrist breaker shooting for fun.
I see what the chart said Cuyugad but good advise to start lower as you point out.

good advise Cowpoke too about impact being influenced by powder charge.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.