Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently obtained a Lyman Case trimmer with several collets. Is it normal that the collets should remain stuck in the shell when attempting to withdraw? The set screw is tight - but I continue to leave the collet behind. Any suggestions?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Collet or pilot?

·
Registered
863 Posts
Are you supposed to leave the "collet" (pilot) behind? Yeah. If you mean is it supposed to pull out, certainly not.

You can stop that by grinding or filing a small flat place on the pilot shank that will allow the set screw to have a secure place to set into.

The "tight" case mouth fit comes from from the cutter forming a burr that turns in under the pilot. You can reduce that effect by 1) insuring the pilot is fully inserted and 2) by drawing the cutter/shaft out to turn the burr a few times as you work.

After I used my Dremel tool to grind flats on the pilot stems and to withdraw the cutter occasionally, I love my Lyman Universal. Had it for over 30 years now and the shaft is a slighly loose fit, shouldda kept it better oiled.

Course, if I'd known I'd live this long I would have taken better care of a lot of stuff, including myself. Ah, well...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts