Shooters Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lyman 50 cal Deerstalker, new rifle, also I am a bit green at this Muzzleloading stuff. The thing is I have an appointment with a Bull moose next month and I don't want to dissapoint him or myself.
Have to admitt I suffer from middle age eyesight syndrom, but don't want to use a scope If I don't have to, so I replaced the v sight with a Lyman apperature sight,...big improvement.
Zeroed in at 80 yards with 100 grains of Hodgon tripple 7, CCI #11 cap behind a Hornady Great Plains 385 bullet.
Shooting round ball is a bit better about a 3 - 4" group, however i don't think a round ball would have enough weight for an animal the size of a moose. Any advice ??

·
Registered
366 Posts
What kind of groups are you getting with the Great Plains conicals? If it's larger than 4" at 80 yards, there are three things I would try in the following order.

1. If you're going to use Triple 7, drop the charge to 70 grains or so. (Remember, the standard 45-70 load was a 405 grain lead bullet over 70 grains of black powder. That load was considered to be a real thumper and should do a moose in nicely. About 60 to 65 grains of Triple 7 should yield about the same velocity as that black powder load.)

2. Try is a wad under the base of the conical.

3. Switch to Pyrodex RS (or GOEX if you can get it locally).

A final suggestion. If you can locate some of the now discontinued 410 grain Hornady Great Plains flat point bullets, give them a try. They have always shot better for me than the 385s. I think they would be a more effective moose bullet than the hollow points.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Try real black powder:

Triple Seven is not the best for side lock percussion guns due to somewhat erratic ignition and resulting pressure variations between shots. Black powder ignites easily, bumps up soft lead bullets for a tight fit and cleaning is simple with hooked breach guns.

With the Hornady Great Plains Bullet and 100gr. of Goex FFg, my 100 yard 3 shot groups run in the 4 inch range with the open sights on my TC New Englander. That is without cleaning between shots.

I am also holding on to iron sights and have found the old style TC square post and square notch open sights to be the best solution for me.

·
Inactive
1,962 Posts
I'd back that charge down a little to around 70-80 grains and try that. With a Great Plains Conical that should be a good load out to 100 yards. Most loads do not get a pass through on a big moose, so worry more about penetration and expansion. Will that load reach the vital organs? I think it will.

If the Great Plains Conical is hollow based, you might try dropping the load and then tapping the butt of the rifle to level the load. Then dump twenty grains of corn meal down, tap that and then put the conical on it. Might help, might not.

Personally I would change powder to black powder 3f or some Pyrodex RS or P. Although with a good quality primer, Triple Seven will go off.

Just to kick something out there, in my Lyman .54 Trade Rifle I got real good accuracy with a 405 grain power belt. I was shooting 90 grains of Black Powder under them and they did real good.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.