Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not meant to demean this product or any other Lyman products as I have had very good luck with them as a general rule. This is just an FYI when purchasing anything from Amazon. Before I ordered this, I specifically asked under their product question section if this would work with a .204 Ruger. This is the response I got.

Lymn Flash Hole Uniformer 204.jpg

It came in today and I checked it...and alas, it will not work on the .204. There was also some surface rust on the shaft which I would have passed on in a brick and mortar store. I cannot blame Lyman for this as I am sure that this came from the Houston Amazon warehouse as it was delivered by Amazon less than 24 hours after I ordered it. Damn Gulf Coast of Texas humidity. lol I decided to keep it as I have plenty of other calibers it will work with.

Lyman Uniformer Rust.jpg Lyman Uniformer 204 Case.jpg Lyman Uniformer diameter.jpg

I guess another question would be is if anyone else has used this (or a product like it) and did you find it useful?

Joel

·
Registered
83 Posts
Interesting. I have the Lyman deburring tools, but never tried them on the 204. But you're right. The Lyman and RCBS both are .224 and up. There is a small Redding deburring tool. That one specifically states 17 and 20 cal. Of course, like everything else reloading related, it's currently unavailable on amazon and Midway. But shows as in stock on Brownells.

I picked up the flash hole reamers in the hopes of tightening up my groups. I never saw a difference. But YMMV. My rifles may are probably more accurate than my eyes are even with the flash holes reamed. Of everything I tried, I'd say burrs on flash holes were the least of my problems.

Edit: I don't put too much trust in Amazon Q&A. People feel a need to answer questions whether they know the answer or not. Hard to understand.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,113 Posts
I have the Lyman adjustable flashhole reamer and use it on all new cases. As you say, probably more of a "feel good" procedure than anything, but I strive to attain the reloading procedures for best accuracy. At my age and eyes/body condition, need all the help I can get!
;)

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,161 Posts
I have the RCBS one which is "identical" to the Lyman. I'm convinced it helps on certain "cases" especially selling reloading tools. I'm sure it doesn't hurt anything either.

RJ

·
Registered
508 Posts
I don't understand why a deburring tool is called a "flash hole uniformer". It does nothing to change the diameter of the flash hole it only removes the burrs on the inside of the case where the flash hole has been punched or drilled. I have a set of drills to uniform the flash holes to the same diameter. I also have a deburring tool to remove burrs.
I use the deburring tool more often than the drills because I have recorded lower extreme spreads and standard deviations after using it. Some brass doesn't have burrs but range pickup brass is not typically fully prepped like Lapua or PPU.

·
11,161 Posts
I don't spend Lapua $$ on my brass but if that's what you like, then I'm happy for you. No, really, I am.

I think the primary function of a "flash hole uniformer" is to 1. make them all the same diameter and 2. to make them (the holes) all the same "length" (as it ends up) so the "spark" is more consistent.

A theory only, YMMV

RJ

·
Registered
508 Posts
I don't spend Lapua $$ on my brass but if that's what you like, then I'm happy for you. No, really, I am.

I think the primary function of a "flash hole uniformer" is to 1. make them all the same diameter and 2. to make them (the holes) all the same "length" (as it ends up) so the "spark" is more consistent.

A theory only, YMMV

RJ
I agree completely, but the tool shown does neither of those jobs. It is designed to remove the burrs left after the flash hole is punched.

·
11,161 Posts
Look at it reeeeeally close Paul, the tip looks just like my RCBS version which does as I described. It deburrs AND "reams" the flash holes to a uniform diameter. I just got done doing some (500 or so) .223's and that's what it did.

Before that it was .243's, same thing.

Anyways

RJ

·
11,161 Posts
Just took this of the "bit" on my RCBS

I could feel it open up some of the holes, not very many, but some.

RJ

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,660 Posts
I got one. Works fine. Don't have the slightest idea if it makes any difference in the final product, but it gives me something to do......

Reactions: kdub
1 - 10 of 10 Posts