Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been out of casting for a number of years and I'm taking a look at the molds I have. I found a Lyman mold (believe I purchased in the early 80s) marked 38 cal RN 121 gr 358242. The mold itself is marked 357. When I look in the Lyman 46th addition of their reloading handbook it shows that mold number as a 92 gr RN. My question is, will this mold work in a 9mm Luger?

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Lyman made two version of that mold, one cast a 90 gr. RN the other a 121gr. RN.

From the Lyman #3 cast bullet manual for 9 mm.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lyman made two version of that mold, one cast a 90 gr. RN the other a 121gr. RN.

From the Lyman #3 cast bullet manual for 9 mm.
View attachment 100175
Thanks you res45. That is the exact information I have in the older Lyman manual. My question still remaims, will this work in the 9mm?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Thanks you res45. That is the exact information I have in the older Lyman manual. My question still remaims, will this work in the 9mm?
Being that the data is under the 9 mm section of the manual I would suppose so, you're just going to get higher velocities on the top end loads with the lighter bullet.

·
Registered
532 Posts
If you know what bullet size you need you can change it with the lubrisizer.
I believe most lead 9mm use .356" diameter.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks that's helpful and the direction I'm leaning.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Yes the bullet will work in 9 mm Luger .
Cast and weigh a few to make sure which weight you actually have ,,, the blocks aren't marked . Then use the Lyman Cast Bullet data for the weight you have .
The 90 grain is a little light but useful the 121 more in the middle of the weight and there should be plenty of data for 120 to 124 grain bullets .
It is designed for 9 mm Luger and 380 acp also .
I size all mine .357
Gary

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes the bullet will work in 9 mm Luger .
Cast and weigh a few to make sure which weight you actually have ,,, the blocks aren't marked . Then use the Lyman Cast Bullet data for the weight you have .
The 90 grain is a little light but useful the 121 more in the middle of the weight and there should be plenty of data for 120 to 124 grain bullets .
It is designed for 9 mm Luger and 380 acp also .
I size all mine .357
Gary
Thanks Gary, very helpful.

Reactions: gwpercle

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,204 Posts
The two versions are different in that the 120 grain has two lube grooves where the 90 grain only has one.

Rj

Reactions: gwpercle
1 - 9 of 9 Posts