Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help identifying the proper model peep sights for a Model 1895 and a Model 71.  Is it the same sight?  What drilling/tapping has to be done?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Muleskinner,
As far as the 71 is concerned, if it is a Browning then it is already drilled/tapped. I know that you asked about Lyman. Can't answer that one. Williams' FP-71 will fit if Lyman is un-obtainable. I have seen a few Winchester 71's. All that i handled were drilled/tapped as well. Can't answer for the 1895 Hope this limited info is of help,
Scott

·
Registered
123 Posts
Muleskinner,

The Browning and most (all?) Winchester 71s are drilled and tapped for receiver sights.  The Lyman is the 66WB, which I have.  My next will be the Williams FP71, which has recessed adjustments.  The Lyman are "semi-target" and protrude.

I am unsure of the 95.

dclark

·
Registered
107 Posts
Muleskinner, just looked at my Winchester M71 (it was made in the early 1950's).  It has a Lyman receiver sight on it (was already mounted there when I purchased the rifle used).  It is a Lyman Model 56A, and although it has the protruding knobs I have never noticed them when I shoot.  Odessa

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dear Muleskinner,

The proper Lyman receiver sights for the Winchester Model 1895 are the Lyman 21 and the Lyman 38.  These are essentially the same sight, with the 38 a somewhat more complex production adjustable for windage.  These sights were popular factory-installed options for the original Model 1895's.  I have a factory letter for my grandfather's Model 1895 in .35 Winchester (manufactured in 1903) that states that the rifle originally came with its Lyman 21, which it still has.  Neither the 21 nor the 38 are still in production.  They are sometimes available at larger gun shows, and, alas, they are quite expensive, unless someone makes a mistake on pricing.  Both the 21 and the 38 were mounted on the left side of the 1895's receiver and bridged over the bolt at the rear of the receiver.  You can see pictures of them in the old reprint Winchester catalogues.

Ken Waters wrote a "Pet Loads" article on the .35 Winchester in the November, 1990 Handloader.  (You can order a reprint of this article from Wolfe.)  Mr. Waters had a Browning (Miroku) .30-40 Model 1895 rebored and rechambered to .35 Winchester.  As part of that project, his gunsmith converted a Lyman 57 for service on the 1895 by switching the 57's short sight arm for a longer arm that would extend across the receiver as the 21's and 38's did.  If you wished to go the Lyman receiver sight route now, I suspect such a conversion might be your easiest option, pending locating a 21 or 38 at a gun show.

My hope is that, with the new .405 Winchester Model 1895's that are due soon to appear, Lyman might make a limited run of 38's for all those who have the new Winchester (Miroku) .30-06's, .270's, and .405's.  Hope is, of course, an important theological virtue, but I think combing the gun shows for an original 21 or 38 is probably more realistic.

You have already received very good advice on the Model 71 sighting options.

I hope this helps.  Good luck!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You boys never cease to amaze me.  Thanks for the info on both rifles.  As my eyes get older, I've been having nightmares about a hugh 8x8 bull elk crashing through the timber 20 yards in front of me and I can't see my rifle sights.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,225 Posts
That's what bayonets are for!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Heads up all you 1895 owners.  The tech at Brownells swears that the Lyman 66 WB will fit the 1895 as well as the Model 71.  Anyone using this sight on a 95?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DCClark,
The article arrived today.  Thanks, I will devour it tonight.  Rawlins boy, huh?  Hows that Red Desert for mulies?  Seen some nice pictures in Garts in Rock Springs.  Take care, and thanks again.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Muleskinner,

Glad to hear you got the article.  Hope you get some good out of it.

Actually, the Red Desert has several good mulies and a load of elk.  Last year my older son killed a nice 24" mulies just off the Haystacks North of the the Adobetown Rim, and I missed one about the same size.  Fun hunt; tough pack.  BIG country.

I get to Pinedale on occasion and might give a call if I had a number.  I also like to fish the Burnt Lake area.  Neat country.

By the way, you may be interested.  I have just made a deal on a Browning Model 71 that has been re-barreled to .450 Alaskan.  I am awaiting delivery sometime in the next week or so.  I'll keep you posted.

dclark

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dear Muleskinner,

You asked about the Lyman 66WB for the Model 1895 Winchester.  In the September, 2001 issue of Handloader, there is a very interesting article by Dave Scovill on conversions of the Model 1895 (USRAC-Miroku) .30-06 to .375 Hawk-Scovill and to .411 Hawk (which are newly developed cartridges somewhat similar to the older .375 Whelen and .400 Whelen, without, it seems, the headspace issues of the latter).  The conversions were done by Fred Zeglin of Z-Hat, who is, I think, also located in Wyoming.  The photos accompanying the article show the .375 wearing a Lyman 66 sight.  I cannot tell which of the 66 variations is used, but it is clearly a 66, and that would lend credence to what you were told by the Brownell's representative.  To be able to use a 66, which is readily available, would be a nice convenience.

The truly correct Model 1895 receiver sights, from an historical perspective, are, as I wrote before, the Lyman 21's and 38's with their very distinctive long, left-side arms.  For practical, present-day use, however, the Lyman 66WB may be an excellent, available alternative.  The reference marks on the 66 would be quite convenient if you were planning to experiment with different bullet weights in your loads.

Good luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts