Shooters Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just given an old Lyman turret press with (S-T) markings . I already us a Dillon 550 for reloading so I have a question about what to use this Lyman for. It only has one head and do to the age I do not know if I can even get parts for it but it looks to be in very good shape. My question is does anyone think that it is a good idea to make this press into a decapping press exclusively for military brass and my favorite rounds so that I do not have to set up the Dillon every time I get some new crimped brass to decap. I have a limited amount of space for my reloading and I do not know if I should set this press up or try to sell it. I appreciate any input and or advice about the press and what I can do with it.

·
Super Moderator
14,223 Posts
Lyman Spartan-Turret Press (a.k.a., Spar-T and S-T). The Spartan also came in a non-turret version. The Spar-T was my first press and I still have it. Works fine for odds and ends of test loads, though I more often use my Lee Classic Cast for small sample lots for rounds for which I don't have dies set up for the Co-ax press. I used the Spar-T only for pistol loads, which never stressed it. Being a C-press design with a single bolt for the turret, they are famous for flexing a bit with bigger cases, though I did do a few .30-06 rounds on mine many years ago without hurting it.

Pick up a Lee Universal Decapping Die for it and it will do your depriming just fine. It may not be up to running something like the RCBS press-mounted primer pocket swager, though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.