Shooters Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a buddy has lymans new sabot type slug mold and i wonder what you folks have found to work well as far as a powder/wad combination--thanks--Dick

·
Premium Member
3,366 Posts
Dick,

I've used both the 20 ga and the 12 ga Lyman sabot slugs extensively.  Most recently, using an Ithica 37FW that began life as a 30" full choke and now is a 20" cylinder bore due to amputation after the previous owner snow-barrelled it.

Using the Lyman slugs, Winchester WWAA12R wads, Winchester 209 Primers and 32.0 grains of BLUE DOT in Winchester AA cases gives 50 yard groups of under 2" using the Marble's sights installed on the barrel.  These are absolutely devestating loads.   Oddly enough, I have never chronographed them to know what they are doing for velocity, I justed adjusted the load for accurracy.

The 20 ga version of the same slug performs exceptionally well using 800X, Win 209 primers, Win WWAA20F1 wads and AA cases.  These shoot to the sights very well in various Savage 24's with 20 ga. tubes.

Hope this helps.

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
11 Posts
Using the Lyman 12gauge sabot-slug mold we load the slugs into Federal Gold-Medal hull's with 49.0grains of Blue-dot and a WW12(white wad) then star-crimp!Makes a nice shell but be sure to have a marking-pen as so not to get these mixed in with fine-shot! We were getting 1670fps out of a 20"barreled Mossberg 500.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts