Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For years my packing pistol on fishing & camping trips was a 22. Howerver, as my trips started taking me to MN. & WI I started running into black bears. Also in my home state of MO. Black bears and wild hogs have moved up from AR.. I decided I needed more gun but it had to be compact and not to heavy. I fish mainly for smallmouth bass by wading and canoeing in rivers. I looked at the new light weight alloy guns they were ok but I ran across a Smith Model 60 357 and fell in love. It slips right into the inside pocket of my fishing vest.

How S&W was able to make a J frame into a 357 is a mystery to me. At the range I shoot mainly 38s and a few 357 PMC 158g JSPs. While the recoil is strong it's not to hard to manage , my 11 year old son has put a few 357's through the gun. I don't shoot to many 357s because I don't want to shoot it loose. When I go on fishing trips I load it with a snake load and 4 PMC 357 rounds.

I would like to load a good hard cast 357 round for this gun. With only a 3 " barrel it will need a fast burning powder like Bullseye. If anyone can suggest a good load I would greatly appreciate it.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,300 Posts
I don't know that I would go with a real fast powder, pressures can sure jump in a hurry with just a few tenths of a grain increase. A fast pressure spike isn't all that good for the gun either.

Personally I'd look into a 'medium' powder like Unique, perhaps AA#5, Universal Clays, Green Dot, 800X, you get the idea.

Or.... considering the very limited amount of times you expect to fire with full power ammo (good idea too) why not just stick with some factory ammo? A jacketed soft point will probably penetrate like hard cast, given the lower muzzle velocities of the snubbie (expansion would be unlikely). As long as the bullet has a flat nose you should get some decent wound channel out of it.

Consider the extra rounds spent working up your own handload, that's wear on the gun too. If you know how close to point of impact the PMC loads are, you are money ahead right now.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Matt I wouldn't even worry about a handload to carry just use them for practice,try the cor-bon hunting loads or federal hard cast,they work great

·
Registered
18 Posts
model 60

hi Mattkec , i also have a S. W. 60 .357 .... just love that gun use for backup woods-walking hunting mine is very acurate .. one comment though ,,, do you find the hammer a little short and narrow ... i have a J-frame .22 4"barrel but the hammer is a little taller and wider ... hope your day is going well.....

·
Beartooth Regular
1,116 Posts
I agree with Leadbutt. Try the Federal Cast Cores. You won't get stunning velocities from that 3-incher but it's probably your best bet for any .357.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Ditto on the Fed CastCores. That is what I loaded in my snubbie when wandering woodlands close to home. I did a little penetration test on some roadkilled moose. Plenty to reach vitals on black bear. If you put one through the top of the head, it will be well down in the lungs unless you try to run it right down the spine. If you run it right down the spine, well, problem solved 8*)

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the responses I'll give the Fed. fast cores a try. Farmer 45 I never really noticed the width of the hammer being to narrow. The only draw back I have is the heavy double action trigger pull. I talked to a gun smith about it and he said if you lesson the pull on a m 60 the gun would't be reliable.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Mattkc...You can get a Wolff J-Frame spring kit that should reliably ignite your primers. If the replacement mainspring is too light you can always go back to the original and just use the lesser powered trigger return springs that have no effect on ignition what so ever. I also have one of the M60-10 that replaced a M651 for my hiking gun. Could not be more plaesed....Bob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts