Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Mike G,
excellent article. It helps bring to light how to actually correct some of the problems that we realize we have once a concentricity guage is purchased and used. I usually purchase Redding dies for anything I do, and have had no problems that Redding wouldn't correct for free. This imformation may have some application with all the die sets that I purchased before I found out that there really can be/is a difference in what brand of dies you buy. I'm not saying the Redding products are perfect, but they've been better on average than any other brand I use.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,226 Posts
The better dies are likely more consistent, with fewer 'lemons.' Like you say, better on average. But it is surprising how well the cheap die occasionally performs. You just never know till you check.

Also, the experiments really showed me how many different parts of the loading process affect the final product. One flaw in any of them can screw up the end product, yet without the right tools you don't know where the breakdown occurred.

Personally, I'd rather discover problems at the loading bench than after I went to the range. Far more cost effective.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Made a 4 step expander for my Lee .38-55 die much like the "m" die expander you wrote up. Works like a charm. Also, the Lee die is very close to sized case size so there is also additional support to the case during expansion. My RCBS .38-55 Cowboy die set has a much larger inside diameter in the expansion die that provides no support, much like Lyman's "m" die body. I feel that the Lee die with the new expander plug is the best choise.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,226 Posts
Hey, glad to hear that it worked for you!!!!! :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts