Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody heard of a shortened .30 M1 Carbine cartridge? An old man that lived down the road from me years ago talked about a shortened case. He said some were chambered in Thai carbines made by Howa. The cartridge was shortened about .100". It had something to do with a country that they were being used in, that couldn't use military cartridges or something like that. I know another weird story and question.

·
Registered
38 Posts
In Italy it is not legal for civilians to own a weapon chambered in a military cartridge. But I too have never heard of a shortened 30 carbine cartridge.

·
Registered
38 Posts
He may have been refering to the winchester 35 self loading cartridge. But that would have been in prototypes only. Cartridges of the world or a simalar publication would be the only source of information on 32 self-loading.

·
Premium Member
15,574 Posts
Roverboy-- the only wildcat I know of on the Carbine case (Unique/parent) is the 22 Spitfire. It uses the full length case.
Work with the carbine case was hampered by the unique head size and it's rimless so suitable actions were limited to the Carbine.

Reactions: bavaria55n

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That could be it. The man telling me this, was a very smart guy. He knew quite a bit about surplus rifles and guns period. He had a large collection of different guns, with a little bit of everything.

·
Premium Member
15,574 Posts
I wonder if they altered the bolt face and extractor or made rebated rim cases.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Basically he just said it was a shortened .30 M1 case, with standard bullets loaded.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I heard an unsubstantiated story about how 9 x 21 was not allowed for civilian use in Spain. So some enterprising person made a 9 x 22 for that country.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts