Shooters Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a arsenal rebuilt M1 Carbine, it is a conglomeration of parts, Winchester receiver, Post Master, Rock-Ola, Underwood Typewriter, etc. The problem is that when it is being shot, it will try to double stack the ammo. I have tried different mags, that has not helped. the receiver and slide "look" okay, but without knowing dimensions and where to measure, well I am at a loss. If there are any M1 Carbine fans here, I would sure appreciate borrowing some expertise. I know an M1 Carbine ain't much of a prize to most, but it is fun to blow up out of date cans of vegetables and Chef Boyardee at 25-50 yards. 馃槅

Premium Member
What do you mean by 'double-stack'? I've never heard the term, except as a description of a magazine. The Carbine is a doublestack magazine and it feeds from alternate sides of it.

Registered
If you're talking about two live rounds trying to go into the chamber, your problem is a SEVERELY worn recoil spring, and or a bad magazine.

Recoil spring
When the slide comes back, it slams against the receiver and jars a second round out of the magazine. A new spring will treat your gun much in a much nicer way.

Magazine
Damaged feed lips, or a weak magazine spring will further enable a double feed when your recoil spring is worn. Of course it could just be one bad mag, so perhaps try other mags to make sure its just not one bad mag (I'd still order up a recoil spring even if its just one mag, they're cheap)

If you're using GI 15 rounders, those are minimum 40 years old, so new magazine springs couldn't hurt. If you're using new reproduction magazines, then your most likely culprit is the recoil spring.

Premium Member
I've got a dozen Carbine magazines here and none show more than one rim in the back and the not enough space for two to exit the front. I can't see how yours is double feeding. The bolt only contacts one at a time. Pics if you need them.

Registered
I've got a dozen Carbine magazines here and none show more than one rim in the back and the not enough space for two to exit the front. I can't see how yours is double feeding. The bolt only contacts one at a time. Pics if you need them.
Its not from catching the bolt, the rounds are being jarred out...which means that slide is hitting that receiver VERY hard. One of my first gunsmithing jobs was working for Pacific International which was one of the largest surplus importers in the country back in the '80's. We imported 11,000 M1 Carbines and I was the lucky *** who went through all 11k of them. I have encountered this issue a number of times, and I have yet to see it not be corrected by a fresh recoil spring and magazine spring (assuming we're talking surplus GI mags).

BTW, I hand picked this carbine out of that batch of 11k

Air gun Wood Trigger Shotgun Wood stain

Premium Member
Interesting, DL. How and where were those guns marked? PI or Blue Sky? Were those the Korean returns?

Reactions: Pudfark

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good morning JBelk and DarkLord, my son found the problem. Seems sometime, somewhere, this WAS an M2. And the slide jumped the track on the receiver and scored it, some metal was ground away and was causing the bolt to move around. A little hammering, a little filing and things are back to plinking standards. If things go north again, probably will have to replace the receiver, bolt, and slide.
I can't imagine looking at 11,000 carbines. Looks like you picked a beautiful specimen from the batch though.
Thank you both for the replies.

Registered
Interesting, DL. How and where were those guns marked? PI or Blue Sky? Were those the Korean returns?
We were prior to Blue Sky. The stamp was on the bottom of the barrel just forward of the bayonet lug, and it should read: "PAC INTL SAC CA". 7,000 of them were from China, and 4,000 were from Israel, imported in 1985.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts