Shooters Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
240 Posts
Kanuck:

Welcome to the forum.

The 1:38 twist found in the Marlin 1894 is more than adequate to stabilize bullet weights (read: lengths) up to and including 300g, maybe a bit more.

My 1894 has a 16 1/4" barrel with a 1:38 Micro-Groove twist and it tosses 300g Honady XTPs and 300g LBT WFNGCs (sized .432) at velocities of 1600+ fps with accuracy between 1" and 1 1/2" at 50yds and approximately 2", when I do my part, at 100yds. I have never experienced keyholing or other signs of instability. If I were designing the 1894 from scratch would I specify a 1:20 twist? Sure, but I have never been in the least bit dissatisfied with Marlin's standard 44 mag twist. That stainless 1894 is just what the doctor ordered!

Having said that, in no case would I consider ANY pistol caliber loading a 200yd proposition.

·
Banned
240 Posts
Hi Kanuck:

Agreed... 200 yd ballistics are not principally the issue (although I get a BC significantly lower than that on the 300g WFNGC).

Most lever action carbines being two piece stock affairs along with underbarrel tubular magazines are simply not capable of MOA accuracy. And as Mike said, the longer the range the less likely is accurate, humane shot placement. That's not to say impossible in the hands of an expert firing from a rock-solid position it's just that the probability diminishes. Granted, scoping the rifle will improve things but that goes counter to the lightweight levergun proposition.

With my rifle and my skill-set I will pass on any shot in excess of 125yds.

Lastly, the Hornady 300g XTP is a jacketed hollowpoint not cast and it is the most accurate load I've yet tested in my 1:38 Marlin.

Good luck!

·
Banned
240 Posts
Kanuck:

You're right about Federal's CastCore. It's an LBT WFNGC made by Cast Performance. I'll re-run the BC numbers. I may have run them incorrectly. The number I got was way less than .2. Could be because I entered the separation distance as yards not feet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts