Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this forum . I have posted questions on other sites with mixed help
My questions are I have purchased several Springfield M1A's . Socom 16 , Scout and a special build M21 (took Sprinfield 2 years from the time I ordered it to get it to me) I have upgraded all three rifles triggers to the adjustable M25 trigger. I would like to know if there is any thing else I can upgrade. I am thinking about putting the Smith Ent. Coastgaurd muzzle break on my M21. Has any one tried this muzzle break and what does it do for long range accuracy. I live in Communist California and any muzzle break choises are very limited or should I just stay with the Communist Califoenia approved Springfield muzzle break. Any help is Appreciated

·
Super Moderator
13,631 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Rules are to join in and have fun and play nicely with the rest of us kids.

Accessories are all personal preference. Having shot in service rifle matches for years, I am very comfortable with working over the issue triggers. It's not hard with the basic Garand trigger mechanism. I am also accustomed to having to build match rifles within the as-issued appearance rules in force for those matches, so I haven't explored the external accessories a lot. I did get a removable scope mount for testing purposes, though.

Unless I had a class III M14 to fire full auto, I don't think a muzzle brake would be a priority to me. I don't consider the M1A a serious recoiler. The gas mechanism takes sharpness out of the recoil, though your lighter, shorter barrel versions may make you feel differently? If I were doing an external mod on one of my rifles, I think I'd get a Vortex flash elimenator before a muzzle brake. I saw one demonstrated on an 18" barrel during a dusk range session at Gunsite one time, and was very impressed by its effectiveness. It would certainly prevent momentary flash blindness in a low light condition, letting you get the sight picture back faster. From a short barrel that fireball is much more of a problem.

I recommend you take a look through through the Brownells catalog for other gadgetry and features. I expect, unless it is improperly installed, you'll find a muzzle brake's impact on accuracy is no different from any other barrel mass addition. You'll alter the muzzle flex timing, so you'll probably have to tune your loads over again to match the change in timing. If you do that, it'll work fine. If you are only shooting commercial loads, then some of those loads will shoot better than others. Same as for any other rifle.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the input I have checked out brownell's and other sites unfortunetly they do not have very many up grades like they do for the M16 Thank you agian for your help

·
Super Moderator
13,631 Posts
I should have looked before I spoke. There used to be a lot more when the M1A was still the primary weapon used in service rifle matches. Sinclair has a few, here. Don't forget to search under M14 when you are looking. Smith Enterprises is another, and has the Vortex flash hiders. Fulton Armory is another, and if you look at their SOCOM system, you may get some other ideas.

·
Banned
43 Posts
Funshooter - what manufacturer M1A do you have? I've been looking for one from the original GI manufacturers, but they're few and far between. There seems to be a glut of Iver Johnson 1980s production in my region.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have three and love all of them . A Socom 16 Funnest Rifle I own, A mossy oak Scout with an Aurora 8010 day/night scope and an M21 special order took two years + from the time I orderd it to get it. All manuactured by Springfield Armory. I just recieved my M25 class adjustable triggers today for the Socom and Scout and can not wait to try them I ordered that trigger for my M21 and there is no comparison to the stock triggers.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
UCLENICK (THANK YOU) for the list of sites to check out I am always looking and this helps THANK YOU again!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts