Shooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked online at Brownells & Midway USA but couldn't find any there. Other than picking up a beater at a pawn shop or gun store and raping the action where can you purchase new M700 actions ?

·
Registered
614 Posts
Buying a used gun as a donor for the action is the cheap way to go . You can resell the parts that you don't use . New actions are in excess of $400.00 and that's with no bottom metal !

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,112 Posts
Plus needing an FFL to purchase.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just doesn't seem right to build a new gun of a beat-up action. Or buying a new one and raping the action from it. But it's looking like the only options.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Does it make a difference? Either way, your getting your action, and they both would work just fine, no? Guys are shooting 100 yr old guns that are tack drivers, so an action that is a couple years old should be at least as good.

If you use a new gun, then you have parts to sell that you don't need. If you use a used gun, find one that's in good shape, or have it re-finished. Used is cheaper, new is less work. 6 one way half a dozen the other, I'd say.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Just doesn't seem right to build a new gun of a beat-up action. Or buying a new one and raping the action from it. But it's looking like the only options.
To be honest, I looked for almost two full years at gun shows, pawn shops, and retail stores before settling on a clearance rifle on a BDL platform. I got the whole rifle for $340 out the door. Even the pawn shops and gun shows wanted at least 400 for stuff that looked like it had been drug behind a truck.

Most decent gunsmiths know where they can be had and maybe even for cheaper than what I paid, but at the time I could find a new action in several places for about $330 so I didn't spend much more by not having to mess with the FFL thing.

Bottom line is if your building a new rig, your probably going to want the action squared and detailed anyway, so might as well start with a new one that you know the history of.

The hard thing about buying a used rifle is you generally get it, then decide to shoot it, and find hey this thing shoots pretty well, and then your back to looking for a donor again. I ended up with three extra rifles like that.:D:D

Good luck on your search and build.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
You can also go the classic route. I have 3 guns built of model 98 actions and they are very nice gun. You can find an action/rifle for less than a new commercial action and you will have a classic gun when you're done.

This gun is not fancy, but chambered for 284win it shoots groups under .5" all day and almost any bullet under 1.5".

This gun shoots well and looks even better. Also chambered in 284 win. It's built on a Short Action FN Mauser [often called a Mexican Mauser]

Model 700 actions are great, but if you can't find one cheap enough, don't pass up a nice Mauser to build your custom gun on. There are stocks galore and all sorts of other pieces available to make a one of a kind gun.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I want to go with the Bell and Carlson #2956 or a Manners T5. The BC is only available for the M700, not sure about the T5.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
I'd go with the Beater 700 option, they are a dime a dozen, second route is the Mauser, and I'd take a Ruger over a Winchester.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I'd go with the Beater 700 option, they are a dime a dozen, second route is the Mauser, and I'd take a Ruger over a Winchester.
Owning both, no way would I take a Ruger over a Winchester action. Unless you just don't like much smoother actions and triggers.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Owning both, no way would I take a Ruger over a Winchester action. Unless you just don't like much smoother actions and triggers.
Maybe he just like's better looking guns. More durable guns, that are made by an American company that can actually stay in business on their own. Just can't get passed the fact that Winchesters are so ugly.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Yea Boolit, poor old Winchester couldn't get American consumers to choke on the same garbage for 70 years, so they went out of business to cause a panic, then sold out to a foreign company who has lied about being American and reintroduced the SAME garbage. And guess what? Its still sitting on the shelves.

I like Old winchesters, anything made after 1964 does not interest me. I own 40+ Ruger rifles, handguns, and shotguns, and not one of them makes me feel like I didn't buy a high quality product. All of my rifles and handguns are very accurate, and my shotguns fit me very well and and I am quite competitive with them.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Here's an answer based on the question, "what are you going to do with the action?" If you intend to accurize the action via the blueprinting route, you would be better to consider going with a custom 700 style clone. Cost will be similar after you factor in the gunsmithing work on a base remington 700 purchased new or used, but you will have less of an ordeal getting to the end product. I've done it both ways and buying custom is a lot easier. Gunsmiths can be pretty difficult people to deal with. Many have their own ways and don't / can't go outside the box to accomodate customers wishes. Others talk about accurizing an action and for all practical purposes just end up shineing up the metal. You really have to do your homework on this. Mileage varies tremendously..... With a custom 700 clone action, you just send it to krieger for barreling and be done with it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It would be for my first custom build. My gunsmith has been building rifles for many years and just does it for a few people a year. He has helped me work on a few things, so I asked and he said he would build me on. I just need to get together what I want.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts