Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last winter I bought a M700 Classic 6.5 Swedish new in the box at a local sport shop. I equipped it with a Leupold VX2 3-9x40 HD and a UM Military Strap. It hits the target well with home made Rem Ultra-Bond 140 grs with 1" @100 yds. The trigger is without adjustment quite OK, and the stock fits me well. The finish of steel and wood is considerately better than of new Remmys.

However, there is a problem with the gun, but I am not sure if I do handle the rifle inappropiately or if there is something wrong with the rifle. It stovepipes or double-feeds when I try to chamber the second last cartridge out the magazine. It has happened twice at the running-moose range and once at a hunt. As I am grown up with Mausers, I slam the bolt back until it stops and then fastely push forward. But suddenly I have two cartridges standing in front of the bolt out of the ejection port, jammed and not quite easy to remove.

So, what is you advice: to better up my handling with the rifle, or repair the rifle in some way?

As always grateful for your thoughts! :)

Pete

·
Registered
484 Posts
As a question, did you have the gun disassembled including removal of the stock? If you had was the magazine box put back in upside down? Did that once on one of mine without realizing and it did the same thing.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for comments! The answer to both question is NO - it would have been an pleasantly easy fix.

But compared to the cartridge, the magazine box is long, very long indeed. I can imagine, that with the cartridges loaded fully backwards into the mag, the upper cartridge can "dive" with the bullet in front of the underlying ones. But in that case, only one single cartridge should stovepipe, I think.

Pete

·
Registered
973 Posts
This is why hunters who pursue dangerous game tend to avoid the push-feed designs.

I'd take it apart and put it back together. If you are treating it like a Mauser, it should be able to handle that. Maybe the previous owner assembled it wrong.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,663 Posts
Sounds like the feed rails (the part of the action that holds the cartridges down in the magazine) are too far apart. If you can find another one in the same chambering, some careful measuring might show differences.

Since you have already checked the magazine and follower, that is all I can think of.

Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts