Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got the M71 out to the range. Here's how the powders rated with the 200 gr Hornady:

1) Reloader 19 - 9 shots in 1-1/2" with one more at 2"
2) H4831 - 2 five shot groups at about 2"
3) WW760 - 2 to 2-1/4" groups
4) IMR4350 - 3 to 3-1/2" groups
5) IMR4831 - 4"
6) IMR3031 - 4-1/2"

The R19 was expected to do well, but I couldn't believe the accuracy. First four shots were under an inch! I used 64 grains, and will try 64.5 next. AW, you have to try this powder with your .348. The WW760 was probably to fast to be best, as evidenced by the fact that the slowest two powders turned in the best groups. Will check the top 3 loads with a chrono when I get a chance. All information to date leads me to expect 2450 fps from R19 and the carbine barrel.

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
Hey Mule,
Sounds like you had a great day at the range.  Congrats.  How's the shoulder?  I hate to invite comparisons and I know you can't compare the two cartridges, but how does the the 71 stack up with your 1895 Winchester?  Not only accuracy, but handling, shootability, etc...

Just curious, sounds like you really enjoy both do you have a preference?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hadn't thought of it, really.  The 95 is definitely easier on the shoulder, especially off the bench.  Each rifle has a unique feel.  The 71 is a carbine with a thumper of a cartridge.  The 95 has a longer barrel, and is probably capable of much better accuracy once I get decent sights on it.  They both point, but I'd say the 95 is more of a all around hunting rifle, while the 71 is a woods carbine and saddle gun.  I need to do some off-hand shooting to get a better sense of the 71s handling.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Good work!  And the results are most interesting!  That is a large case and showing that the slow powders are very effective.  It sounds as though you have a keeper in that carbine!

dclark

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DC,
Seems to me that the traditional .348 powders are too fast.  Maybe they didn't exist, but it is definitely a better performer with the slower stuff.  Someone needs to try IMR7828.  I love my sight picture.  I used the target aperature and filed off the bead on the factory front sight.  Nice thin post resulted.  Allowed me to use a lower rear setting on the Lyman too.  Hate havin' sights set so high they get fragile.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts