Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To all you big bore shooters out there, the 35 caliber bug has gotten a hold of me and I'm looking to pick up a Model 71 Winchester that I can shoot and hunt with. No gun-safe queens for me, everything I own is hunted with and shot regularly. Would it be more prudent to look for a Browning 71 rifle or hold out for the Grand-dad Winchester? I'm looking to spend $1100-$1500 and would be happy with a well used, grade 1. Are there any other auction sites out there besides Gun Broker and Guns America?
Gun shows are not an option for me right now, living in Kodiak, AK not happening here. Anyone know a guy that has a friend who's brother has one for sale?

Thanks,

Alek

·
Banned
200 Posts
The amount you are willing to spend should get you a nice Winchester 71 that has been altered The common alterations are either a recoil pad added or the receiver is drilled for a scope. If both alterations, the price should be around $800 for one showing moderate wear. For one that looks like a collector rifle with the alterations, you should be able to pick one up for $1000 to $1300.
The consensus wisdom is that a plane jane in very good condition (unaltered) should sell for around $2000 to $2300. Don't go by asking prices. A serch will show that actual selling prices are as I mentioned, (but there are the occasional exceptions). With one alteration, knock off $500 and for both alterations, knock off $900, give or take depending on condition.
I recently bought a pristine one made in 1936, but drilled and pad added. My cost was in line with the above numbers. I replaced the recoil pad stock with an original and that cost me about $500.
If you contact an individual about buying their rifle, be sure to ask about ammo and once fired brass and any reloading items. Those can be valuable to you.
Bob Nisbet

·
Registered
50 Posts
Alex (Gralewaj),

I have a Browning Hi grade carbine 71, .348 Win. I might be willing to part with. It is no safe queen I hunt with it. It is a good shooter. If interested and want too see pics email me [email protected]

Cheers
Jim

·
Banned
510 Posts
i d go for a broewning copy. all modern metal. no sense bearing a relic up
The Winchester Model 71 is by no means a "relic". They were made from the same steel that Winchester built all their guns from at the time, including the highly sought after Model 70s. The same can be said for the late Model 1886s. I own several of them and hunt/shoot them all. Merely because a rifle has perceived "collector" value is no reason to let it sit unused and unappreciated in a safe. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
thanks for all the replies, I am agreeing with the first few that a Browning repro is the way to go and I won my rifle today! I love new gun day! Even though I won't be able to pick her up for a month or so, layaway is a great thing sometimes... Anyway, just wanted to brag I'll have a brand new Browning 71 very very soon! Also just picked up up quite a large supply of Hornady 200 gr bullets for it, should be some fun this spring!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts