Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
8mm to a 30-06?

A new barrel chambered in 30-06 and a qualified gunsmith to put it on. Could possibly need to lengthen the magazine a little.

Darin

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Nope. The .30-06 case and the 8x57 case are just about twin sisters, so bolt face and magazines will work with either.

·
Registered
671 Posts
The magazine will be tight. I worked with this on a recent build. A 180 grain 30-06 would jam up because it was to long. The bolt face is fine.

Darin

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
I used to have a pre WWII commerical action (double set triggers, half round/oct Krupp bbl, tang sight, QD scope bases) that was rechambered from 7.9x57 to 8mm-06. This was a common wildcat that only required recutting the depth of the chamber and used 30-06 brass necked up and used the same bbl. No mods were made to the bolt face or magazine.

CD

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
Like CD said, most people leave the 8mm barrel on the gun and just cut the chamber deeper, so they can use '06 brass with .323" bullets. This is/was a very popular and easy to work with wildcat. If your existing 8mm barrel is in good shape, you could save yourself a lot of money and just have the chamber opened up to the 8mm-06.

Even if your barrel is trashed and needs to be replaced, why go with an '06? You can buy an '06 in good shape for less than re-barreling your Mauser, so if you're going to put a new barrel on it, go with a 6.5-06, or something interesting! :)

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
if you reload the 8x57 is a dandy. factory ammo is limited but there is some good stuff out there. i have an M48 yugo that has a beautiful bore and nice tight chamber that shoots great so i'll just keep loading for it and shoot it as is... if yours is a good shooter that might be a good option?

·
Registered
38 Posts
8mm loads

What is your fav 8mm load and what kind of mv can I expect?
I also had one of those pristeen M48's but I gave it to my nephew in AK for his first rifle. Recently picked up a couple 24/48 mausers and they also are in new conditon, wood and all. Hate to modify such nice rifles, especially if they are shooters!
Thanks
Lessdrop

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
i like the 185gr remington bullet with 53 grs of ramshot big game & a remington 91/2M primer. i just got an older redfield 4x scope on it but i can cover 3 shots with a quarter. i haven't chronied this load yet but i'm figuring 2700ish fps. that load would take anything a fella would probably ever want to shoot at with an 8mm but simply changing the bullet to a barnes tsx would erase all doubt from my mind... just the same that 185gr core-lokt is quite capable.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
if you cant get ramshot stuff locally i also really like 4064 & RL15 or varget. there are a lot of good medium speed powders that work great in the 8x57...

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have been sporterizing Mausers for 44 years, and I still don't know anything:)

I like Wash's book on sporterizing Mausers a lot better than Kuhnhausen's.

The 8x57 to 30-06 is just a barrel swap.

I have converted a number to magnum, and that is a lot more steps.
30-06 is easy.

·
Registered
251 Posts
As Combat Diver suggested the cheapest conversion is to rim the chamber of your 8x57 to accept the 06 cartridge neck up to fire the 8mm bullet, or like I did since a friend already had the rimmer and the lathe, I richamber to 8x64, almost same length as 06 but the shoulder is more forward. to reload I use 06 brass, neck up to 8mm and fire form, the cartridge in my rifle a vz24 is super accurate . I load with 196 norma tip or 170 round nose hornady over IMR 4831. Due to the fact that the shoulder is more forward the case offer bigger powder capacity than the case of 30.06
I did't need to length the magazine nor modify the ramp or the lips of the wall, the chambering work fine
________
roberto

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
jkwaldi,

Forgot to ask, who's 98 action are you using. The Yugo M48s uses a intermediate action length which is a tad shorter and may not work with the .30-06. Other members might want to chime in here on this as I am not 100%.

CD

·
Registered
429 Posts
I have some M48's and 24/47's. I can get a factory 30-06 cartridge down into their magazines. Close fit but they will go in.

·
Registered
614 Posts
If you aren't a handloader , just trade your Mauser toward a 30-06 , if you are the 8mm-06 is a dandy round !

·
Registered
2 Posts
8mm to 30-06

You should be able to find quite a few 98's that have been converted to 06. I would much rather punch out the chamber to 8x64 over the 8mm-06. I'll have to try 4831 in my 8x64.

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
You should be able to find quite a few 98's that have been converted to 06. I would much rather punch out the chamber to 8x64 over the 8mm-06. I'll have to try 4831 in my 8x64.
Welcome to Shooters Forum, Dean. I hope you stick around and share a few stories. :)

It should be noted that this thread is 2 years old, but is still an interesting topic to certain gun nuts! :D

Is there any particular reason you prefer the 8x64 Brenneke over the 8mm-'06 wildcat? From what I can see, the difference is basically 1mm, but with the '06 based round, brass will always be easy to locate.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry it took so long to get back

Hey Broom,
The 8x64 is kinda close to the 300 win. Brenneke ammo is getting not quite 2800 fps with a 196 grain bullet. I'm getting not quite 3000 fps with a speer 170 grain bullet. The best way to think of an 8x64 is an 8x280Rem. The shoulder is about .050 inch forward of a 30-06 and that's why I use 280 brass for my reloads. If you use a barrel that is chambered for 8x57 you will have to set it back about .050 to .060 to get everything to clean up. I must say that the more I use it the more I like it.:)

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
Hey Broom,
The 8x64 is kinda close to the 300 win. Brenneke ammo is getting not quite 2800 fps with a 196 grain bullet. I'm getting not quite 3000 fps with a speer 170 grain bullet. The best way to think of an 8x64 is an 8x280Rem. The shoulder is about .050 inch forward of a 30-06 and that's why I use 280 brass for my reloads. If you use a barrel that is chambered for 8x57 you will have to set it back about .050 to .060 to get everything to clean up. I must say that the more I use it the more I like it.:)
If you're getting velocity that is close to 300 WM with the 8x64, it's solely a function of higher pressure. The difference in case capacity between the 8x64 and the 8mm-'06 is nominal...a grain or two, at most. If you load those two wildcats to identical pressures, you'll get basically identical velocities. There might be a small advantage to the 8X64, I suppose.

A lot depends on the barrel lengths being used, but the 300 Win Mag is probably 150fps faster and fires a more aerodynamic bullet, with a greater SD...so, not really apples to apples.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts