Shooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
farmer,
I have a 1911 in 45acp that has the 5" barrel, slide, and bushing mag-na-ported so overall length is the same as a standard 5". Bought the upper complete when the old Michagean Armaments System went out of business (cira 80s). The slide, bushing and barrel are also Metallifed (prop. finish like RB3). With heavy loads (230gr LRN @1000+fps), full length guide rod, heavy 22lb recoil spring and shock buffs the gun does recoil noticable less than a standard 1911. Shot recovery is also threfore quicker for quick double taps. Been thinking about sending my S&W 4" M58 to get magnaported.

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,764 Posts
Farmer 45,

Don't have experience with 2 port vs. 4 port, but have compared "identical" SRH 9 1/2" barrelled 44 mag revolvers. I bought both as new revolvers and had one 4 ported by Mag Nu Port with action work. I was surprised to find that while the ported revolver had noticeable reduction in barrel rise, I was not able to tell any difference in straight back recoil. Certainly a less than scientific response, but another companion shooter was of the same opinion. Their action work was moderately priced and made a very noticeable difference .... very nice work.

Dan

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Not handguns, but I have a 1895 SS .45-70 and a 77 .458 that were shot with exactly the same ammo before and after porting. Recoil, no change. But, they eleminated 95% of the muzzle jump. Before you had to hold the gun down on the rest when you shot or the barrel would jump up 6-12 inches. Since porting, they just lay there. Howwww sweeet it isssss!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Porting does not reduce recoil it only redirects it. Porting is used to reduce muzzle flip for a faster second shot. You the shooter still have to handle the recoil and increased muzzle blast. Having shot raceguns in 38 super using a 4 chamber comp, muzzle rise is almost non existant. A double tap at 15 feet will give you about a 2 in vertical spread. I actually shot a 45 apc pin gun that would show a muzzle drop when fired. Mag-n-porting is not as efficent as comps or the schaumann barrel porting system but seems to be the latest craze coming from all the manufactures. I have seen 2 ports 4 ports and a 5 port configuration. I have several guns with porting and comps which I used for competive shooting. I have never found a need for porting in a hunting situtation.
Not to be confused with muzzle braking which has ports all the way around the barrel and does reduce recoil by quickly bleeding off combustion gasses.

·
Registered
935 Posts
The only Mag Na Porting I have ever done on revolvers has been the 4 ports they call Dual Trapazoid porting. That is simply 2 sets of their ports. When I did my origional inquiry with the people at Mag Na Port, they claimed going from 2 ports to 4 allowed an extra 20% reduction in recoil/muzzle rise. In any case, for the cost of shipping both ways and the small difference in the cost of 2 vs 4 ports, it would be hard to justify only 2 ports. Just my 2 cents though.

Bill M :D

·
Banned
36 Posts
I have 2 GP100's just alike in 357mag one with the two hole port the other with the four hole port... I can't tell enough difference between them that I would pay the additional cost again. That's just my thought. I sent them off at different times. I could tell a difference between ported and non ported. I am not sure I would go to the expense to do another 357. I think barrel length, scoped or not, type of loads, etc. Would influence my action.

·
Banned
15 Posts
magnaport

The Magnaport works very well on single action pistols. I once had a custom 6" Superblackhawk with 2 ports. With a factory 240 gr load the recoil was like a 158 gr 357.

A buddy had a 6" S&W M29 done and we tried an unported gun in comparison. We could not tell any difference in recoil but there was a slight difference in muzzle jump.

·
Banned
22 Posts
I have a 629 Master Hunter 7-1/2" bbl. Mag-Na-Ported, 629 Mountain Gun 4" bbl. Mag-Na-Ported, and a 629 Power Port, ported by S&W. They all work to keep muzzle flip down, but recoil is the same to me. All these guns came with these features, I don't think I would bother with it, if I had to send the gun to have it done. These are hunting guns for me and recoil and muzzle flip don't bother me.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hey Masterhunter

Nice looking grips on the photo gun, are the something from S&W or aftermarket. Definitly interested in obtaining a set for my 629.

thanks

jon

·
Registered
366 Posts
mag port

I have a Ruger Red hawk 5.5 and its a little strong with 240 fact loads. thie is a carry gun inthe field. My ? is would a mag port help the recoil?

·
Registered
935 Posts
Ok Guys,
I have a porting story for you. A friend of mine and I were out at the range a few weeks ago shooting our 5 1/2" 45 Colt Ruger Redhawks. Both guns have the same Pachmayr Presentation rubber grips. In fact, the only significant difference between the guns is that mine was ported by David Clements with his in house porting that is quite similiar to Mag Na Port's.

The last load we shot for the day was with the Beartooth 350gr Long cylinder bullet that chrono'd at 1350 fps. The recoil was monumental to say the least. I really cannot say that the ported gun in this case gave less recoil. I was too busy hanging on to the gun to notice. There was one great difference though. With that 350gr load my buddies gun would come up 90 degrees in recoil along with my hand and arm, while I am trying to hold on. Yes, it ended up just to the right and above my face. My Redhawk (ported) would come up only about 30 degrees or so and get no where near my face. It was still quite the handful but control was much easier. Fun day!

Best.............. Bill M

·
Banned
22 Posts
Jon, Those are Jordan Trooper stocks from Herrertt's Stocks.
I have them on five 629's, a 29, and a 586.
They are the best grips for controling magnum recoil I have found. They place your hand high on the grip frame and fill your hand to displace felt recoil over a wide area.
Bill, Yes porting will help keep muzzle flip down, but good grips will help with felt recoil and take the sting out. Jordans place your hand as close to the line of the bore as possible on a revolver which also helps you to control the mz. flip.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts