Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After being involved in many threads and discussions that have touched on this topic, some being more heated than others:eek:, maybe we can get some input from some of the local experts. I admit that my attraction to magnums such as the 300wm, the 338wm, and now the 300rum is somewhat of a bigger is badder philosophy that may or may not be warranted. I do like the "ability" to get more velocity and distance out of a rifle. We all know that a 30-06 is more than capable of taking everything most of us will ever hunt. With that said, are there any real advantages in shooting mangnums??

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I don't have any "magnums" but to me, their advantage is basically handling heavier bullets at the same (or even higher) velocities than the non-magnums. Another use is for when you want to shoot really far and still have a lot of energy down there. For example, the .300 Win Mag can send 180gr bullets downrange faster than a .30-06 can send 150gr downrange (source). If/when you want the extra SD and thump, that's what the magnums do.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Ok, yes the 30-06 will take anything in NA, but if I had to go that route I'd take a .308 just out of hate for the 30-06.

I can't explain everyones attraction to them, but I'll do my best to explain mine.

For me, I do like the ability to take longer shots without as much hold-over. But also, it's kind of like driving a powerful car. I love to get out and shoot them, it's that feeling that you know you just set a beast free from it's cage.

I know that a 180gr bullet at 3400, won't kill any better under 300 yards than a 180gr bullet leaving out at 2700. You mainly just get a lot of extra recoil, huge muzzle blast, and a lot more money in powder spent. But for some of us, that is the attraction. Not everyone can shoot a heavy recoiler with any accuracy. I practice with mine a lot, and I guess my slender frame just rolls with the recoil and thats why they don't hurt me.

I suppose all I have done is rambled on and on and made no sense at all. But the original intention of the magnums was to add a little extra range for those long shots out west. Its the ability to break an Elk's shoulder at 500 yards and anchor him to the ground. It also gives you the ability to shoot a heavy for caliber bullet at the speed of the standard calibers and normal weight bullets.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,917 Posts
Long range target shooters like the .300 Win and .338 (both Win and Lapua) for best ballistics 'way out yonder.

My present "magnum" battery consists of Ruger M77's (tang safety) in 7 Rem Mag and a 7mm Dakota. Used to have a .300 H&H and .35 Whelen, but other than a 8mm Mauser and 45-70 Trapdoor, have slid down in caliber for my paper punching and hunting needs as age advances. I find the 7RM has taken a liking to 140 gr bullets of late (used to use 160 gr PT's) and the Dakota exclusively uses 175 gr loads. Always liked heavy-for-caliber bullets for hunting and these do the job out to the 300 yd limit that is self imposed these days. Matter of fact, the 7 Dakota is a bit much on thin skinned deer even at that range. Makes a great elk load.

Got nothing against those that like to sport the big thunderboomers and get a rush out of using them. The day will come when, like me, they will start backing down on the power throttle to enjoy shooting in their golden days. :D

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Kdub, when I start backing down, Im going for the .308 family: .243, 7mm-08, .308, and .338 Federal. Thats my planned battery.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I agree with you all. I like to send heavier bullets at the same speed a standard sends them. Hence, the 300 Win Mag pushing a 200gr bullet at 2900 and a 338 pushing a 225 at 2900. They both put alot of energy downrange in a very flat trajectory and do an excellent job. Same with the 270WSM, puts the 150's down range at 3000+ and that is very flat and has alot of authority out to 500. I like my standards, like the 308, 358, and 35 Whelen, but the Magnums do bring a little bit of comfort at a longer shot and a good bullet. Scotty

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tang, that was a good explation and analogy, I also have a taste for horsepower. So I guess range and the ability to push heavy bullets faster are the only adantages.

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,227 Posts
I presently only have two belted magnums, 7mm Rem and 338 Win mag but my old bones seem to shy away from shooting them alot now days. I tend to hunt more with standard rounds such as 35 Rem, 30-30, 6.5x55, 30-06 and 45-70. I have taken a big liking to the 338 Marlin though. It is large enough for big game but the recoil is very moderate.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So with bullet weight and velocity combined, does that not lead to more destruction, larger wound, even at shorter distances, or could you achieve the same damage without a magnum and a different bullet design? In which case we are back to distance only as an advantage?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Years ago i was looking to replace my '30-06 and after many hours of looking at the ballastics at the time(back in '94). I chose the remington 700 in 338win mag. It has 4,000ft lbs @ the muzzle and 2,700ft lbs @ 200yds thats the muzzle energy of an '06 @ 200yds. I hunt with only this rifle now and i don't carry a handgun when bear hunting. Its got the power i was looking for. The numbers don't lie and the blackbears don't like it either. Bill

I can put two rounds thru the same hole at 100yds using winchester super X 225gr ammo at 100yds.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
The advantage is bragging about a bigger gun... thats about it. I have a couple of 'magnums' but I primarily hunt with a 25/06. It does everything I need and its still very flat shooting

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
More down range energy, better trajectory, heavier bullets pushed to the same velocity as standard cartridges produce with lighter bullets, which in effect produces better penetration, and much flatter trajectory.
All of this is null if the shooter cannot perform with the extra recoil, but if one can, its not hard to see why they are popular.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
The advantage is bragging about a bigger gun... thats about it. I have a couple of 'magnums' but I primarily hunt with a 25/06. It does everything I need and its still very flat shooting
Begging your pardon Matt, (and to dispel the notion that a "magnum" is something with a belt to headspace on, instead of a shoulder or rim) but...the 25-'06 IS a magnum! If we can set aside the terminology and analyze what makes one cartridge a standard round and another a magnum, I think we'll agree that it comes down to case capacity versus bore diameter. The presence of a belt, or the word "magnum" in the naming of a cartridge, does not a magnum, make. Rather, it is any cartridge which, for its given caliber, offers more case capacity and higher velocity than others in that specific caliber.

A 30 Carbine, 300 Savage, 30/30 Winchester, 30/40 Krag and 30-'06, etc...are all .308 caliber rounds that are not magnums. By comparison, the capacity and velocity provided by the 300WM, 300WSM, 300RUM, (and on and on) are magnum rounds because they offer quite a bit more in terms of power and long-range performance. One of the first 30 caliber magnums was the 300 H&H, which had the belt, but the 30 Newton, with comparable ballistics, did not. Both were, and are, magnums, not by virtue of their case design, but by their capacity.

To further illustrate that a magnum need not be labeled as such, the 220 Swift is, by all accounts, a 22 caliber magnum. On the other hand, the 222 Remington Magnum is perhaps misnamed as there are several other 22's that exceed its performance and it is only a "magnum" by comparison to the original triple deuce.

So, if you want your bullet, of any given caliber, to go a little faster, hit a little harder, and drop a little less than most offerings in that particular caliber, then get a magnum. If not, don't worry about tags and labels and just shoot what you know will do the job you have in mind.

·
Registered
135 Posts
More down range energy, better trajectory, heavier bullets pushed to the same velocity as standard cartridges produce with lighter bullets, which in effect produces better penetration, and much flatter trajectory.
All of this is null if the shooter cannot perform with the extra recoil, but if one can, its not hard to see why they are popular.
Recoil??? I haven't seen anything match the recoil of my 12ga yet. I've shot my 30-06's for most of my life since i was 21 and i'm 59 now. The 338wm dosen't bother me after the first shot at the range. To me its not a cannon its just a more powerful '06. I like having the edge when i'm in bear country. My old '06 reloaded with 180gr speer magnum mag tips does a good job too. If a shooter is bothered by recoil thn he or she should look at the smaller bore rifles like the 6,5mm swede or the 7mm mauser rounds. The straight case rounds like the marlin 444 and the 45/70 also have less recoil too.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,103 Posts
Gosh I guess someday you will see the light and get a .257 Weatherby, and be healed!!! :p

LOL

Good for you. My Roberts kills everything I point it at......

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
I think thats the first time I've ever seen you type "LOL" Mike...

Broom- Maybe the 25/06 is a magnum, in comparison to the 25-20, 25-35, 250-3000, and 257 Roberts, but considering the 270, 280, and 30-06 can deliver heavier bullets at the same or better velocity, its really not a magnum.

The 257 Roberts is a fine cartridge indeed, and the +p loadings really wake it up. One of my neighbors has a Remington 722 in .257 that I've shot and I was impressed with it.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts