Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first year of muzzleloading and i bought a vortec ultra light. Really like the firearm. However the scope that came with it recomends that I use a 150 grain charge with a 250 grain sabot for the 250 yards ranges to work. When i look up load data, everyone says not top use more than 2 50 grain pellets. To maximize the extended range of the magnums you have to use 3 pellets. I have shot 25 to 30 rounds at150 with no problems. Is this an insurance issue why they say not to use more than 2 pellets? Just curiouos. I have gone to 2 magnum pellets since with great results. The vortec really likes the mags.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Forget what the scope company's manual says. Look at the rifle company's manual. They know what is safe for the rifle they made.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,672 Posts
Agreed, check with the rifle manufacturer. I'm going to move this to the muzzleloader section for you.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Is this one of those scopes that allows you to quick-change your zero for long ranges? If so, it's adjustments will be what they claim to be only with one specific load, and that's probably why they say to stick to the lesser charge.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
This is my point of view on magnums and the BDC scopes. I am not trying to upset anyone. If you want to shoot magnums, do it.

Do you get better accuracy with three 50 grain pellets or two 50 grain pellets? A lot of rifles and shooters find that 2 of the 50 grain pellets are more accurate. But then the scope does not work. Right? Sure it still works. You just have to learn the marks.

Sight the scope in with a lighter load the same you would with a magnum load. 100 yards first cross hair or hash mark, what ever you got... dead on. Now shoot at 150 and see where the next hash mark hits. If it is a little low, move the target to say 130 yards. So lets say the second mark with the lighter load is dead on at 133 yards. Make a note of that. Now move back to 150 and shoot the next mark. A little high, try 165 yards.. and so on and so on. What your doing is learning your scope. No animal I hunt walks out at exactly 100 or 150 yards. So if it walks out at 132 for instance, you'd know the second hash mark should be dead on... Or if it came out at 189, then you might want to use the third hash mark and aim a little high. The scope is still helping you with the long shots, its just not what the factory claims it must be. They are selling a scope.

The advantages of 2 VS 3 pellets. Two pellets kick less. It costs less. It normally provides better accuracy. And it will kill animals just as dead as 3 pellets behind the same projectile. Once you know your scope, and you know the load that works... you should be all set. Shoot what ever is most accurate and what makes you happy.

Here is a for instance... I have a Black Diamond XR and it has a cheap 1.5-4x32mm scope. We were shooting at a white paper plate one afternoon at 150 yards. Now there is no BDC in this scope. But I learned through trial and error that if I took the fat part of the bottom cross hair and set it right on the edge of that plate, it put the bullets dead center in that paper plate. I knew my scope. Could I shoot a deer at 150 yards then? If I had to.

You have a great rifle from all I have read on them. And it sounds like a great scope. You should be all set.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Dittos to what Cayugad said!
I use loose powder and a heavier than 250 projectile. Once I zeroed my ML, I moved the target to 150 yds. I shot a 3 shot group holding the cross hairs on target. Then I went and colored a spot over that new group. Back @ the bench I then adjusted my scope to fit a BDC circle over that group. Now I have a 150 reference for 6x and 9x on my scope. over the past 2 yrs I have found what yardages my other circles are good for, both @ 6x and 9x. The reason I did that was to get familiar with my gun, plus I have harvested many woodchucks with my TC's with my longest kill being 213 yds. I have shot at longer distances but never conected w/ a woodchuck. It is amazing how much drop is in a muzzleloader.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Magnum Scope

I agree with the others. Use charges that the gun manufacturer says the gun is capable of shooting safely. You're experiencing the very reason why I'd never get a scope with a BDC reticle. You're suppose to follow a specific load for it to work correctly. Find a 3-9 power or straight 4 power scope, figure out what load is most accurate, then sight in 2-3" high at 100 yards and you can aim dead on out to around 200 yards. Hope this helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts