Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was given a couple thousand Lg. Pistol Mag. primers & want to use them in a very light cowboy load. Either 4.6G Clays or a light Trailboss load with a 200 G lead bullet for my 45colt revolver. All the recipes call for Lg. Pistol primers. How will the Mag. primers affect the loads?

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
It will set them off. Should not be much of a difference in a case that small with a load that small, the mag primer may give you a little more push as it does have more energy in itself.

Consider that light charge is completely ignited with the standard primers and won't produce anymore energy with a longer primer burn. I would test both for groups off the bench and adjust if necessary.

·
Registered
7,712 Posts
That was a very nice gift from somone.
Id concider holding on to them for some future load that requires a magnum ignition source.
Beyond that, Swany's advice is good by me.

Cheezywan

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I don't have any other use for the Mag primers. I think it's a good idea to compare groups with standard primers to see if there is much of a difference. I just started reloading a couple of weeks ago with hand me down equipment, including the primers. I'm reading all I can find. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Have you any fellow shooters that you can swap with? If not, no problem, just use them. As the others have advised and you are not loading near or at maximum loads, you will not have any problems.

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
I have used WLP for standard and magnum loads for 20 years. Magnum primers and TB is not a problem, and it has never given me any problems with Red Dot, W231, or Unique, in my .45, or .44Mag. I also never try for max loads with those powders, as 2400 and W296 can take care of that in the .44Mag, and Unique can get anything I shoot from my .45 going fast enough for me.

·
Registered
771 Posts
To 2rott: Welcome to the forum. Ask lot's of questions, these people on this forum will answer your questions to the best of their ability, and safety is paramount. Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts