Shooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
exactly how big is this thing? Is it comic book proportions like I have read? I personally like the 454 cassull round better but I could imagine the look on peoples faces with a few 45-70 rounds laying on the shooting table.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I have one in .500 JRH and it is the best bang-for-the-buck available in my humble opinion. The accuracy is mind-boggling. A friend of mine shot a 3-shot 1/4-inch group with it at 50 yards off of sandbags. Wonderful revolver!

The .45/70 is built on the long frame and is a bit unweildy (you won't be wearing one on your hip), but they shoot extremely well and tend to be really accurate as well. I have spent a lot of time behind the trigger of a number of BFRs and highly recommend them. They are tough as nails, accurate, and inexpensive. What's not to like?

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
The 454 is big, but not way out of proportion. The long cylinder is very long and looks...well long. They are accurate with the right load.

You can lay some 540 gr reloads on the table while you shoot some 350 gr loads.

Don

·
Registered
785 Posts
you can shoot Marshall's 525g PileDriver from them. fun shooting too.

Grizz

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
exactly how big is this thing? Is it comic book proportions like I have read? I personally like the 454 cassull round better but I could imagine the look on peoples faces with a few 45-70 rounds laying on the shooting table.

They are HUGE. The 45-70 revolver wieghs 4.3 pounds and the cylinder window is over 3" long

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,739 Posts
Like Whitworth (and I think John also), I have the "standard" sized Magnum Research gun in .500 JRH.

It's a lot of fun to shoot. Can't think what recoil might be like in a .45-70! :eek:

The only time I tried to shoot it long range, I got a group of about 4" or so at around 100 yards with 3 shots. Plenty good enough for me and boggled my mind to be sure.

Anyway, love mine, have fun.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Best gun I've ever pulled the trigger on. I've shot every thing from cowboy loads to very hot 525g pile drivers. It handles recoil very well. With hot loads I would rather shoot it than my guide gun.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I recently bought 2 BFR's. One in .45-70 and a second one in .30-30. Both are with 10 inch barrels. Yes they are BIG, bigger than the Performance Center S&W .500 X frame. The quality of manufacture has been described as better than Ruger and just barely under Freedon Arms.
Friday the 28th will be the first day of shooting, mabey, depending on weather.

However, I did shoot another member's 7.5" BFR in .45-70 early last year and the recoil was not that bad, even mild. But it was a reload of 28 grains of AA5744 / 405 grain cast bullet, a load for the 1873 Trapdoor. Now I am sure that ammo loaded for the Marlin lever action, 28000cpu, is going to be quite another experience.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I've shot some pretty stout loads in mine. Honestly my 41 mag stings the hand more. Even with a hogue grip.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've owned two BFR's in my day. One was a 480 Ruger / 475 Linebaugh with a 6.5" barrel. The other was a 45/70 with a 7.5" barrel. I have nothing but very good things to say about BFR's. True they are a bit pricey but they are worth it if they suit your needs. If I was a dedicated handgun hunter, I would own a BFR, likely in 45/70. They are that good, very well built and extremely accurate, at least in my sample of two. I highly recommend them.

Regards,

Josh

·
Registered
1 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Back in 2003 I bought a .45-70 BFR on a whim - and I've never regretted it. I've had quite a few shooting sessions over the past ten years, and yet even now, when I pull it out, it still feels like "my new toy". Whitworth is correct - you won't find a more finely fitted and finished revolver for the asking price. I'd say GO FOR IT!!!

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
I have the 45-70, .475 and the .500 JRH. You will have to pound on my casket to get me to part with one.
My best group ever was 5 shots in 2-1/2" using the 45-70 at 500 yards. I can give loads.
All have done down to 1/2" at 100 yards.
Recoil with all is not bad and the 45-70 is less then a .44.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I also have a 500jrh 5.5" model. Basically take a flat top blackhawk and increase it to 110 to 120% and that is the short cylinder model. The long cylinder guns come with either 7.5" or 10" barrels, now you have a LARGE revolver. Great workmanship, very heavy duty, and overall great pistol. Maybe a little high on the price but where else can you get a 45/70 pistol. If you buy one look for the one with an interchangeable 450marlin cylinder.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts