Shooters Forum banner

Making a doiuble barrel coach gun slicker

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Fighterpilot 
#1 ·
I have a rather old Lefever double barrel 12 gauge that has been turned into a coach gun. The issue I have is when I break the double barrel in half and jerk it to the rear at best only one shell pops out and some times that does not happen. I see others with double barrels that the shells pop right out.

Does anyone know what has been done to these double barrel shotguns to get the shells to pop out? Does anyone know what can be done to make both shells pop out? Honing the chambers? Spraying them with oil or silicone before the match?

Any suggestion other then purchase a new coach gun? Or a pump? :)

#4 ·
You could make a chamber hone from an empty plastic shell. Knock primer out, cut head off machine screw, run nut down on threads, place screw through primer pocket, use second nut inside shell, tighten and chuck it up in your drill. Coat the shell in lapping compound, and spin it in the chamber. Doesnt take long to smooth chamber out.

#7 ·
Thanks rbrtkuester@hot, yes pitting in the chambers so I purchased a wheel cylinder hone for $14, honed both chambers, polished with a Dremmel & Jewlers Rouse and now the shells pop right out. A friend recommended a shot of Rem spray oil before the day begins will help.

#8 ·
Thanks rbrtkuester@hot, yes pitting in the chambers so I purchased a wheel cylinder hone for $14, honed both chambers, polished with a Dremmel & Jewlers Rouse and now the shells pop right out. A friend recommended a shot of Rem spray oil before the day begins will help.

Never shoot an oiled chamber! It increases back-thrust and may make bad things happen. Always be sure a chamber is dry before shooting. The "stickiness" of an expanded shell against chamber walls is part of the pressure containment system.

#10 ·
I'm sure you know that any type of ejector that ejects the spent shells automatically is illegal in cowboy action shooting. You can have an extractor that partially extracts the shell, but, you must manually eject the shell casings, most cowboys using a continuous motion of opening the gun and using a forceful jerk to the rear to eject the shell casings. You solved the problem by honing the chamber. Another thing that will help is to put a light coat of ballistol on the front 1/2 of the shell with a rag just dampened with the ballistol. As far as worrying about increased chamber pressure because of the very light oil coating, most of us use reduced loads to minimize recoil, so pressure should not be a problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.