Shooters Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,398 Posts
"Scalping a FMJ doesn't change it's design." Making changes doesn't change the design? Are you reading what you're writing?
I did read what I wrote.
You are confusing "design", and "operation".

If Hornady designs a HPBT, they build and test and confirm it does what they want. If you decide to fill the nose with JB Weld, you didn't change the design at all; but you have altered it's operation.

So as I said and Mike repeated, what does the law say? If they simply say something like "Any soft point", then scalp away. If like the laws around here say, "designed", then modifying bullet operation isn't going to give you an "out".

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
13,604 Posts
Regarding Mike's comment on banning FMJs, I think they probably just don't want to take the time to use a magnet to see whose FMJs have steel penetrators or jackets made of plated steel and whose are really just copper and lead. Any place where there is dry grass or another fire hazard at the time will typically ban any bullet or target with steel in it due to the spark hazard. Any place with a steel backstop will ban them because they tear up or blow through the steel.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I remember reading about British & German snipers in WWI inverting their projectiles so that, on impact, they would create "spall" on the other side of the metal plate through which they and their spotters/observers peered, often seriously wounding the recipients.
I don't know if one might destroy a barrel by getting a jacket stuck in it, but extemporaneously altering the point on a FMJ bullet sure sounds like a dandy way to ruin accuracy. Even if one DOES manage to connect on a varmint with a projectile thus modified, what guarantee is there that a vital area and not an appendage may be hit? There's nothing humane about THAT.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I had an old friend who helped me get into reloading who shared so much advice. I shot a deer once with store bought , Russian “ Hollow Points that were merely Hard bullets with a hole in the top. The bullet went right through the deer and it ran off and we found it a day later. My buddy would take these so called hollow points and remove the bullet, pour the powder into a pill bottle then recharge the powder and replace the bullet with the same weight of modern HP.
My brother in law had some Russian brand 126 gr. HP 7.62x39 ammo. we pulled one of the bullets to look at. It was a steel core with a copper jacket around it. ;)

·
Super Moderator
13,604 Posts
I've dropped Iron Curtain era S&B ball bullets in a copper solvent and had it take 0.004" off the diameter, revealing a soft steel jacket under the copper plating. But the core underneath the steel jacket was still a lead alloy slug.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts