1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,885 Posts
The mesquite stocks Mike made for my 1911A1 fit like a dream and look great! Thanks again, Mike. :)

·
36,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some much better pictures which were taken by someone who knows quite a bit more about photography.....

Attachments

·
Registered
487 Posts
WOW, Mike those look great.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Very nice work. One thing I did that may or not be worth the effort was to make a wood replica of the frame to be used to hold the stocks for much of the work, thereby protecting the actual frame.

Regarding hand fit, another thing I did on one of my Bisleys was to extend the actual grip about .500 by welding on a piece of steel. I had access to a mill, so was able to do a lot of the metal work there, but it can all be done with files, just slower. While reforming it, I also added a little bit of "birdshead" shaping--not a lot, just a bit. Came out nice. The larger grip (it's a .45 LC) really fits my hand better and is especially noticeable with heavy loads. I have another one that I'm going to do, but only add .375, as I think maybeso the .500 was a bit much--for my hands. Since I had to have the frame reblued anyway, I could just do the final sanding right on the frame--made it faster as no on and off on and off checking. Also, I added a second alignment pin. Your use of epoxy is smart-hadn't thought of that approach. I do make the alignment pin holes oversize and then use epoxy to fit them perfectly.

·
36,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Post a picture of your work when you can, moosehunt. Would love to see it.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I would, but I have no clue as to how to post a picture here. It took me 2 months to figure out how to get photos on GunBroker, longer to get them on e-bay. How do you do it here? Keep in mind I'm way past 65 and quite ignorant in regard to this electronic media. I do my best. I do have a digital camera--quite an advance for me!

Incidentally, I don't think I've done anything special. Just adding to your very good explanation. I'll admit, I'm proud of what I've accomplished.

·
36,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pretty easy. First, click on the "post reply" button (not the "quote" button).

Type in the text. Then - scroll down a bit to "manage attachments" button. Click on that.

"Browse" to the file, then "upload." When done uploading, then scroll down to "close this window."

Then, "submit reply."

Note that the file has to be less than 250K to upload to the site. Most digital cameras take far larger pictures and you'll likely have to size it down.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts