Shooters Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a plain and simple 62 caliber muzzleloader without any fancy features except that it has a set trigger. I bought it out of state by mail from a so-called gunsmith, couldn't go back on him to pay for the changes that the rifle needed, and this rifle had problems from the beginning that needed to be fixed by a local gunsmith. It used to shoot okay. But now when I pull back on the hammer and slowly release, I can feel it slip past the set trigger position, and the hammer stops at some oddball half cocked position from which if I pull the main trigger hard, the hammer falls hard enough to fire a cap. But I dislike using this rifle with a malfunctioning lock. Unfortunately I don't know the style of the rifle. It has a 36 inch barrel and a half stock. Oddly, if I loosen the screw that holds on the lock so that the lock wiggles in place, I can actually fairly reliably fire it in that weird half cocked position. I've carefully deepened the locks mortise in case some wood is in the way. The breech plug clears the lock plate. Also I completely decreased the entire lock inside and out up and down, and back and forth. Then I cleaned it with aerosol brake cleaner to get everything off of it, scrubbing it with a toothbrush to get rid of any possible debris, so now the lock is totally dry. Two questions: does anybody have the faintest idea of what might be going on here, and two, what is the proper lube for all those little parts inside the lock that are under such high pressure and torque. I'm thinking wheel bearing Grease, but I'm sure I'll get catcalls for that. Oh, I'd include pictures of the lock and rifle using macro so you can see this stuff, but I just don't know how to do that with this phone. Thanks for any help guys.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is a plain and simple 62 caliber muzzleloader without any fancy features except that it has a set trigger. I bought it out of state by mail from a so-called gunsmith, couldn't go back on him to pay for the changes that the rifle needed, and this rifle had problems from the beginning that needed to be fixed by a local gunsmith. It used to shoot okay. But now when I pull back on the hammer and slowly release, I can feel it slip past the set trigger position, and the hammer stops at some oddball half cocked position from which if I pull the main trigger hard, the hammer falls hard enough to fire a cap. But I dislike using this rifle with a malfunctioning lock. Unfortunately I don't know the style of the rifle. It has a 36 inch barrel and a half stock. Oddly, if I loosen the screw that holds on the lock so that the lock wiggles in place, I can actually fairly reliably fire it in that weird half cocked position. I've carefully deepened the locks mortise in case some wood is in the way. The breech plug clears the lock plate. Also I completely decreased the entire lock inside and out up and down, and back and forth. Then I cleaned it with aerosol brake cleaner to get everything off of it, scrubbing it with a toothbrush to get rid of any possible debris, so now the lock is totally dry. Two questions: does anybody have the faintest idea of what might be going on here, and two, what is the proper lube for all those little parts inside the lock that are under such high pressure and torque. I'm thinking wheel bearing Grease, but I'm sure I'll get catcalls for that. Oh, I'd include pictures of the lock and rifle using macro so you can see this stuff, but I just don't know how to do that with this phone. Thanks for any help guys.
That is completely "degreased" the entire lock assembly.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I use light synthetic spray lube on my lock. Set triggers usually have an adjustable screw. Does yours?

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
Your sear is broken. Take the lock off and look at what part it is that engages with the hammer at full cock. Either the hammer notch is broken or the sear.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I use light synthetic spray lube on my lock. Set triggers usually have an adjustable screw. Does yours?
Yes my two triggers have a screw exactly between them, and it's very small, and needs a very short small screwdriver to adjust, which I'll have to purchase. Can you tell me what this adjustment screw actually does??

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
That screw adjust the engagement of the set trigger to its sear. The 'bounce' of the front trigger fires the gun.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Gong, have you had any luck yet? Hope you can figure it out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gong, have you had any luck yet? Hope you can figure it out.
Yes in a limited way. Now the lock functions partially, that is, if I don't cock the set trigger, the main trigger releases the hammer well enough. I assume this is because I degreased the heck out of the lock, cleaned all the nooks and crannies with a thin oil soaked patch using a toothpick to get it into all those tiny tight spaces. Then I used aerosol automotive brake cleaner spray to sort of "dust off"any remaining particles that I couldn't see or may have been under some of the moving parts, and all of the degreaser it might have still been on it. Then I heated a container of two cycle oil to about 170°, and immersed the entire lock in the oil for about 10 minutes. Operated the hammer while it was in the oil to make sure the oil got under the parts that were pressed against the lock plate. Then I removed the lock from the oil, hung it up to let it dry off, then used cotton cloth to wipe all the accessible tooil off of the lock. This actually fixed the lock well enough so that it functions as a single trigger lock, and works fine as long as I don't cock the set trigger. I'm satisfied for now and I'm saving money to get a new lock or possibly have a gunsmith look at this lock that I already have. I'm pretty much sick and tired of struggling with it, although I do like the gun. I want to thank you guys for trying to help me. At least this rifle works for now. If I had the money I'd really like to get a 69 caliber rifled musket. That would be very cool indeed. Which I guess makes it obvious that I'm a gadget lover.

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
Gong--- Back off on the set trigger adjustment one half turn then try it. If the set trigger is too creepy, tighten an 1/8 at a time until it holds and is crisp. You don't have to buy a screwdriver. There's no tension on it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gong--- Back off on the set trigger adjustment one half turn then try it. If the set trigger is too creepy, tighten an 1/8 at a time until it holds and is crisp. You don't have to buy a screwdriver. There's no tension on it.
Well the lock problem is solved! It turned out to actually be a trigger problem. I removed and reinserted the trigger assembly multiple times as I studied how what I assume are the Sears and how they engage the bottom of the lock. I guess the process shaved enough off one side of the mortise, and while I was doing that I found out to my great surprise that I could talk the set trigger and the hammer would fall with just a light touch to the main trigger, just how I like it. This was a very mysterious problem for me and I got dozens of suggestions from two forums. I appreciate everybody's help very much. I'm very happy my rifle works now. What I'm going to do is use a sharp chisel and remove the slightest bit from each side of the trigger assembly's mortise. I'm sure I'm on the right track now. What a mystery it's been! The Gong.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well the problem actually wasn't solved. I ended up with the lock in my hand staring at all the tiny parts for the 15th time trying to figure out if there's anything I can see that's wrong. Then I noticed all those tiny machinist screws, and decided to see if any were loose. Voila! One of them was loose by one and three quarter turns. I tightened it up and the lock works perfectly now. Such a simple and baffling problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts