Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What type/size/weight mallet is best to use with Classic Lee Loader for .30-30 Winchester? I have a new Henry single shot rifle in .30-30 and have ordered a Classic Lee Loader to neck size and reload factory brass I have shot in it.

I have a full basic reloading set up for a handful of calibers but most of it is still packed up from a recent move. Thanks for any wisdom you have to share about use of the Classic Lee Loader.

WyoStillhunter

·
Premium Member
14,350 Posts
My general, all-purpose, non-marring hammer is a one pound dead-blow, all plastic. It came from the 'your choice for a dollar' table at a hardware store 35 years ago. You sure won't overwork it. Just a tap will do.

Reactions: Blackhawk355

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My general, all-purpose, non-marring hammer is a one pound dead-blow, all plastic. It came from the 'your choice for a dollar' table at a hardware store 35 years ago. You sure won't overwork it. Just a tap will do.
Thanks. I'm not a "tool guy" but know better than to spend $20 more than necessary. 30-30 brass isn't terribly robust so I figured the mallet needn't be super specialized.

·
Premium Member
14,350 Posts
We'll, I'd just about rate a hammer as a natural resource instead of a tool. :)

Welcome aboard. We'll answer most anything fresh or petrified.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I second the all plastic 1 pound dead blow. Possibly one of the best and cheapest places to obtain one is at harbor freight. I think they will hold up to the task. I have been known to "Press" cartridges into the sizing die using my bench vise, then use a metal rod to drive it out again. Slower, but a lot less noisy.....................

·
Registered
332 Posts
You may find (as I did) that the mallet should be replaced with a light weight arbor press. Using a mallet to seat primers was an experience I will never forget. I had a nice arbor press and used it but my brother got a cheap bottle capping press and used it successfully. Harbor Freight has inexpensive arbor presses that will easily do the job.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I used a soft face dead blow (8 oz?) for some Lee Loader use, and also an old Craftsman yellow 8-10 oz. mallet. The important thing is to use a mallet/hammer that is softer than the Lee Loader so the tool doesn't get peened. Not a lot of weight for a mallet is needed as there isn't any real difficult steps with bottle necked reloading (Lee Loaders neck size only on bottle necked cases, 30-30).

I like Lee Loaders and still have 8, along with my 4 bench presses and 1.34 metric tons of dies and assorted reloading tools. I'll get one out whenever I feel "retro" or don't want to change a press set up...

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
What type/size/weight mallet is best to use with Classic Lee Loader for .30-30 Winchester? I have a new Henry single shot rifle in .30-30 and have ordered a Classic Lee Loader to neck size and reload factory brass I have shot in it.

I have a full basic reloading set up for a handful of calibers but most of it is still packed up from a recent move. Thanks for any wisdom you have to share about use of the Classic Lee Loader.

WyoStillhunter
cheap plastic dead blow from Harbor Freight works for me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the input. I have a full reloading press, dies, etc. set up but it is mostly in boxes after moving from Wyoming to Montana. So I will likely break out the balance scales to double check my Lee Dipper technique, and my RCBS hand priming tool. With the new single shot Henry I just got the itch to go to a simpler form of mechanics just to see how it works. The Classic Loader and the latest Lee reloading manual have been shipped.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts