Shooters Forum banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
I was taught at a young age, the fit of a rifle is just as important, as the fit of a shot gun. Fifty years later when helping new shooters getting started, it's still just as important today.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Except for what comes on Ronnie's 50's,. Factory breaks are just noise makers. If you get a noisemaker that actually has a wee bit of design in it; they make a big difference in recoil.

For the money, the SureFire procomp is hands down the winner for recoil reduction. For some bucks, the 5-star ba$tard brakes are extremely effective, as is the Terminator line from Australia.

Remember with a quality designed brake, gas flow makes a big difference. Light loads don't help.

Cheers
I have had 3 rifles that had factory brakes , a Mossberg 4x4 338 win mag , the 460 wby and the Savage lrh in 338 Lapua which I think was around 9lbs . I believe the brakes on the 460 and the 338 Lapua worked . But on the 338 win mag I shot it with the brake on and off and could not tell a bit of difference .

A 20lb 338 Lapua should have around 25ft lbs of recoil which isnt bad at all .

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,441 Posts
A 338WM is a kitten even in a boat paddle Ruger, geesh.

RJ

·
Registered
245 Posts
This is an old thread, I saw this evening. Personally, I have no argument with muzzle brakes- but I do not want to be around them when they are fired. I especially think they should be banned from ranges with any overhead cover. Exacerbating the noise to the sides seems inconsiderate to other shooters. We should not have to endure the noise at a range at which we are paying members. The concussion knocks dust, spiders and hornets loose too. YMMV

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
They warned me. Everyone warned me. Even posts on this very forum warned me. I did it anyway, my Rem 700 TAC-21 in .338 Lapua finally saw some range time today, and my shoulder now feels like i tackled a semi..

The Rem came from the factory with an AAC 51T muzzle brake, which I'm sure did 'something', but not nearly enough. The kick on this thing was so hard I couldn't even keep my target in sight. I've been reading a lot about muzzle brakes and suppressors, but this isn't something I've ever needed on my nice, gentle creedmoor rifle..

What do you guys recommend? Upgraded brake (if so, what kind)? Suppressor? A couple months of heavy gym time?
I shoot with a broken shoulder. When I need to I just put on a Shooting jacket

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Brakes have their place at times in certain calibers, but that caliber in a 20 lb. Rifle shouldn't be an issue honestly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
G'day Japhar
I've got a couple of .300 win mags both shooting Hornady 212grn ELD-X both kick fairly hard my MPA chassis has a Terminator T3 muzzle break and my 9 year old grandson loves shooting it he weighs in at a very heavy 39kg my othe .300 wm is a CZ 550 medium Lux
I have two dead mules in the stock and a custom muzzle break and my grandson loves shooting that as well neither kick at all now and are a joy to shoot
So my answer to your question is definitely muzzle break and put in a couple of dead mules in the stock you will fall in love with yer gun
When I've got enough posts up I'll put a couple of videos up of my grandson shooting them

·
Registered
60 Posts
This is an old thread, I saw this evening. Personally, I have no argument with muzzle brakes- but I do not want to be around them when they are fired. I especially think they should be banned from ranges with any overhead cover. Exacerbating the noise to the sides seems inconsiderate to other shooters. We should not have to endure the noise at a range at which we are paying members. The concussion knocks dust, spiders and hornets loose too. YMMV
Seriously?

So who gets to set the noise limit that paying shooters shouldn't have to endure? My wife has really sensitive hearing and she has to wear double hearing protection even when shooting a 9mm pistol out in the open, I'm sure she would tell you that your rifle is too loud for her comfort, should she be able to tell yo that you are being inconsiderate and that you shouldn't be allowed to shoot when she shows up at the range?

If you are at the range you should be wearing hearing protection, why not buy better protection, or is it that you don't mind telling other people how to conduct their activities but you don't see where you should be told what to do?

We engage in a sport where we set off mini-explosions inside a metal tube next to our heads and then we act butthurt when we have to tolerate loud noises - sorry, but my solution is to suggest that you quit going to the range if you don't like the fact that some people like to use brakes.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts