Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I JUST PICKED UP A RUGER 77MK2 WITH A MANLICHER STYLE STOCK.  ALWAYS WANTED ONE.  ANYWAY, HAS ANYONE HAD ANY EXPERIANCE WITH "TWEEKING" THE BEDDING, FOREND PRESSURE, ETC. TO DO THE BEST IN THE ACCURACY DEPT.?  I HAVEN'T SHOT IT A LOT YET, BUT WHAT I HAVE SEEMS PROMISING.  I KNOW THIS ISN'T A TARGET RIFLE, I HAVE THOSE.  IN ANY EVENT, IT SHOULD MAKE A GOOD DEER RIFLE, WHICH IS WHY I DID BUY IT.  THANKS.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
CEDOC,,,What kinds of groups are you getting now?
best Regards. James

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JAMES

THANKS FOR THE INQUIRY.  FIRST OFF THE RIFLE IS A 308 WIN.  I HAVE BEEN SHOOTING 150GR AND 180GR WICHESTER AND FEDERAL FACTORY TO GET THE ONCE FIRED BRASS AND TO GET A BENCHMARK ON HOW IT DOES.  SO FAR THE GROUPS HAVE BEEN IN THE 3 TO 5 INCH RANGE.  BUT TWO SHOTS ARE WITHIN AN INCH OR SO OF EACH OTHER AND ONE FLYER.  THERE HAS BEEN NO PATTERN AS TO WHERE THE FLYER LANDS SO GROUP ANALLYSIS IS FRUSTRATING.  THE RIFLE HAS PREFERED THE 180GR WEIGHT BULLETS (EITHER BRAND). I WAS OUT WITH IT YESTERDAY AND FIRED SIX THREE SHOT GROUPS, 180GR FEDERAL, AND IT WAS CONSISTENT, TWO CLOSE AND ONE OUT.  NO PATTERN AS TO WHICH SHOT IS OUT OR WHICH DIRECTION.  I AM RELOADING THE ONCE FIRED BRASS WITH SOME OF MY 168GR MATCH BULLETS AND SEVERAL TYPES OF POWDER THAT HAVE WORKED FOR ME IN THE PAST TO SEE HOW THAT PRINTS.  I HAVE HEARD THAT REMOVING THE BAND AT THE FRONT OF THE STOCK ON THIS TYPE RIFLE CAN HELP, BUT THAT WOULD SEEM TO DEFEAT THE LOOKS/REASON FOR IT.  I  CHECKED THE BARREL CHANNEL AND ALL SEEMS WELL THERE.
I'LL SEE WHAT HAPPENS WITH THE NEXT ROUND.  TOO BAD, NOW I HAVE TO GO OUT TO THE RANGE AGAIN AND SHOT SOME MORE.    
TAKE CARE, AND THANKS.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Heading in the direction I think Bill is heading...I have found that there is a couple of things you can do to Mann. Rugers....one is to loosen all the stock screws and retighten the forward angled screw tight, then snug up the rest. Second is the cut two or three paper shims out of business cards, well oiled, and put them under the nose cap. This causes the stock to put some up pressure on the barrel and tone down barrel whip. Your turn, Bill!
Best Regards, James

·
Registered
192 Posts
CWDOC,

In addition to "feeling out" the pressure points in the stock, limit your tests to one load. If your rifle likes the 180 bullets, I'd hold off on the 168 grain match projectiles until any questions on the bedding are resolved. Once you get consistancy with the load it likes right now then branch off and play with bullet weights.

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I JUST WANTED TO SAY THANKS FOR THE IDEAS IN YOUR VARIOUS POSTS.  I INTEND TO KEEP SOME NOTES ON WHAT I DO AND THE OUTCOME OF EACH.  I WILL THEN POST THE RESULTS.  IT IS A NEAT LITTLE RIFLE AND I HOPE TO GET IT WORKING. THE HUNT IS HALF THE FUN.  IT WILL BE AWHILE BEFOR I CAN GET ON IT AGAIN THOUGH, THE HONEYDO JAR IS FULL AND NEEDS EMPTYING.  THATS NOT SO BAD THOUGH EITHER.

HAVE A GOOD DAY.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts