Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm posting a picture for Wizard of Law after he deleted the previous double posting.

Again, is this a correct buttstock for this rifle: Mannlicher Schoenauer 1961 MCA (comb/cheekpiece profile)

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ed, thanks very much for your help. I'm new to this. The new thread and your post with my image look just fine. I'll reiterate the issue for anyone interested: I own a 1961 Mannlicher Schoenauer MCA carbine that I acquired several years ago on Gunbroker from an individual in the Midwest, who was selling it for a friend to whose father the carbine had belonged. It's in very nice condition and I cannot see any evidence the wood has been refinished but the profile of the comb has a dip in it I have not seen the like of on any of the images of MCA rifles available on the Web. What I'm trying to determine is whether or not the comb has been modified or if it is original. I'd appreciate advice from any of you that are MS knowledgeable. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
W.o.L, I have seen that a number of times and in each instance it was an "aftermarket" shaping for the particular owner who had a wider facial measurement around the cheeks to enable him a more comfortable interface with the stock when the site picture is correct. It certainly is not an OEM offering.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Most of the MC 1961 had a 'hollow out' on the cheekpiece. Many people said this caused the cheek to get bruised and I even knew a guy who put talcum on this cheek on the range,

45 years ago I hunted with a MC in 8x68s, a heavy hitting cartridge; no bruise cheeks for me. wish I had that 8x68s today (berdan primers!)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Mannlicher-Schoenauer 1961 MCA combs

Gentlemen: I'm grateful for your comments. The 1960 ad illustrations are especially helpful because they show both the hollowing of the cheekpiece mentioned, which I find on my own carbine, but also the line of the comb, which is straight, unlike mine.

The late Francis Sell wrote The Deer Hunter's Guide (Stackpole, 1964), which I think contained a number of his magazine articles from the late Fifties and early Sixties. Several chapters had to do with "snap-shooting" deer when still hunting the coastal Oregon forests where Sell lived. He was a fairly gifted craftsman and re-stocked his rifles and shotguns and wrote about how to modify the stock of a hunting rifle so that, when you threw it to your shoulder with your eyes closed and then opened your eyes, you would be looking straight down the sights. The modifications he wrote about had to do with altering the pitch of the butt, the length of pull, and other things, but, particularly, the height and thickness of the comb.

I know much more about Winchesters (and little enough about those) than Mannlichers, this MCA being the only one I've laid hands on, but I will say that its iron sights pass Sell's blind shoulder mounting test very well, at least for me. Whether it would have done that for me if the old Wisconsin or Michigan hunter who I'm told once owned it had not altered the shape of the comb, I cannot say, having no other specimens to try. I still can't see where the stock was refinished,which would have had to happen, nor are any of the lines sloppy or amateurish, so the work was likely done professionally.

Bottom line, it isn't going to interest a Mannlicher collector so I think I'll take it to the range and sight in with 180 grain roundnose handloads at about 300 Savage velocity, to spare my aging shoulder and test the recoil effect of the sharper comb line. Tough job, but somebody has to do it. Rest easy, though. I'm never going to scope it, unless I ever find a mount that utilizes the factory holes covered by the sideplate and that mounts via male dovetail to the existing barrel mortise for the iron leaf sight. I suspect those are made of Unobtainium, if anybody ever offered them, but I won't drill and tap the still virgin front receiver ring.

Thanks to all of you,
Wiz

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Thanks for your help.
Interesting - the ones I saw were certainly custom-hollowed for the shooters as the cheek piece was certainly too high for natural sighting - in fact have seen that on a number of other makes as well.

Harry I only shot one shot with an 8x68S - it was on a '98 action belonging to an elderly German gentleman in what is now called Namibia. He wanted a zebra for some or other film maker's requirements. Excellent, excellent cartridge.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Scope mounts made of Unobtanium

Harry, you are a miracle. I would never have known about New England. But it looks like Unobtainium has gone up by the pound since last I looked.

(Later) After looking over what NE offers for the Mannlicher Schoenauer rifles, I cannot see any that do not require either drilling and tapping the front receiver ring (the quick-off top mounts) or drilling and tapping several holes in the left side of the receiver and, possibly, removing some stock wood from the action area. The only one of the three offerings that was less than three hundred USD was the old Jaeger side-mount, with steel base and aluminum rings. The EAW side mount and the EAW top mount were around five hundred each and you'd have to add in the gunsmith's labor for drilling and tapping and - probably - shimming the assembly to get the scope not to look off toward Fort Mudge.

All in all, the two leaf sights, one standing and one folding, look pretty much worth trying....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts