Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a relatively nice 8X56 M-S. However, like other owners of this rifle and caliber, I have found it difficult to purchase ammo for this rifle. Due to this problem, I have been considering a re-barrel to a 260 Remington. Have any thoughts on this modification?

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
RWS still makes this round in Boxer primers. It is available in Germany and most of Eupopean gun shops (Frankonia- Munich germany). About equal to the 35 remington with better BC. a decent deer and black bear round. I'd bite the bullet and just buy 100 roounds and a set of RCBS dies/shell holder and reload.

Nothing wrong with the 260 rem, but it is a modern high pressure round. Don't know what rifle you have but it could be 1920 or so. I'd not risk a high pressure round in an old classic rifle. Going to the 260 means rebarreling $$$$ I'd probably get a rebarrel to 35 Remington if I went that route. Just to get cheap ammo and lower pressures.

Some of those M_S butter handle bolt rifles with double set triggers were very fine.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I would think long and hard about a re barrel/re chamber, the rotary magazine on those lovely rifles are very caliber specific and hard to get to function with other ammo

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have a relatively nice 8X56 M-S. However, like other owners of this rifle and caliber, I have found it difficult to purchase ammo for this rifle. Due to this problem, I have been considering a re-barrel to a 260 Remington. Have any thoughts on this modification?
Dont do it. Go to old western scrounger on line. They carry loaded ammo for it. Or contact quality cartridge if you are into hand loading. They can supply new brass.

·
Registered
110 Posts
RWS still makes this round in Boxer primers. It is available in Germany and most of Eupopean gun shops (Frankonia- Munich germany). About equal to the 35 remington with better BC. a decent deer and black bear round. I'd bite the bullet and just buy 100 roounds and a set of RCBS dies/shell holder and reload.

Nothing wrong with the 260 rem, but it is a modern high pressure round. Don't know what rifle you have but it could be 1920 or so. I'd not risk a high pressure round in an old classic rifle. Going to the 260 means rebarreling $$$$ I'd probably get a rebarrel to 35 Remington if I went that route. Just to get cheap ammo and lower pressures.

Some of those M_S butter handle bolt rifles with double set triggers were very fine.
If you remove the rifle from the stock the year of manufacture is on the underside of the barrel forward of the chamber. Typically a 2 digit year.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts