Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
my friend has a mannlicher steyr M95/34 carbine in 8x56R that used to be his father's(he passed away last year). since he doesn't handload and 8x56R is not on the shelf of every walmart, he wants to sell it. i'll look it over, either this weekend or the next, and i'll buy it or just give him a wave and smile and say "no thank you".

the 8x56R isn't a favorite of mine(bore runs .329-.340"), but i think i could rebore it to 35-40 krag and put on an old aperture sight. then i'll have another 35 cal bore!!! my questions is, has anybody done this? what do you think about it? what do you do with 8x56R stripper clips to make into 35-40 krag stripper clips?

:pno, i don't have any pictures of it. i'll just have to wait and see.;)

Reactions: Davers

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
my friend has a mannlicher steyr M95/34 carbine in 8x56R that used to be his father's(he passed away last year). since he doesn't handload and 8x56R is not on the shelf of every walmart, he wants to sell it. i'll look it over, either this weekend or the next, and i'll buy it or just give him a wave and smile and say "no thank you".

the 8x57R isn't a favorite of mine(bore runs .329-.340"), but i think i could rebore it to 35-40 krag and put on an old aperture sight. then i'll have another 35 cal bore!!! my questions is, has anybody done this? what do you think about it? what do you do with 8x56R stripper clips to make into 35-40 krag stripper clips?

:pno, i don't have any pictures of it. i'll just have to wait and see.;)
Just might work out fine! :)

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I've got a 30-40 Krag that the barrel is pretty well shot out, Centurt+ old. was considering the 35-40. sounds like you like that round???

Re the 8x57R, Got one of those also. love it, both the cartridge and the rifle. It is my black bear gun. Factory ammo is still availablr, Norma and S&B. I load for it; using std 8x57 dies.
You sort of threw me a curve...mention both the 8x57 and 8x56. Now, I assume you have the 8x56R (either the M30 or M31)in the Mannlicher Steyr M95/34. that round is also available at reasonable price. PPU.

The 8x56R rim is .544 while the 30-40 rim is .539 so should work, even the strippe clips whould handle the .005 smaller 30-40 case.

I'd prrobable leave the straight pill rifle inits classic 8x56R, just me.
good luck.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've got a 30-40 Krag that the barrel is pretty well shot out, Centurt+ old. was considering the 35-40. sounds like you like that round???

Re the 8x57R, Got one of those also. love it, both the cartridge and the rifle. It is my black bear gun. Factory ammo is still availablr, Norma and S&B. I load for it; using std 8x57 dies.
You sort of threw me a curve...mention both the 8x57 and 8x56. Now, I assume you have the 8x56R (either the M30 or M31)in the Mannlicher Steyr M95/34. that round is also available at reasonable price. PPU.

i corrected it to 8x56R, sorry about that.

my 30-40 krag is 117 years old(1903). it was my great grandpap, pappy, dad and late uncle's rifle. it killed alot of deer with factory ammo. i stripped the bore out(took me 6 or 7 days, 8 - 10 hours each day) and now it shoots a 165gr ranch dog with h4198 and it goes 1926fps.

i've shot the 8x56R in a steyr carbine and i don't like it, recoil is stiff, to say the least. PPU is around $20/ box of ammo. anyways, i do cast boolits, so recoil is not a problem, in 8x56R i could go 1700-1800fps with a 200gr and still kill deer. i have a 8x57 in a sporterized 98 mauser that i still have to find mould for. :eek:

i have the winchester m94(1973) in 35/30-30(JES Reboring) that shots a 200gr fn gc with 2400/tuft of dacron that goes 1724fps. i have only shot one doe with it last year and the lower half of the lungs(deer) were mush.

the 35 krag is on my basket list. i imagine a 1898 springfield armory(bubbasized) in 35 krag, but i'll go with a steyr!!!:D a 245gr saeco fn gc going around 1700-1800fps will be it fer deer. JES does nice work, the barrel and the accuracy. i highly recommend him.

the 30-40 krag brass is right now, being sold by grafs. ch4d sells a 35-303 dies, they don't have 35 krag dies. i would buy the brass and the 35-303 dies and think nothing of it. i don't know what powders to use, but i bet that 2400 and 4895 are a good place to start.

35/30 sighting it in

https://i.imgur.com/nBFtFB6.jpg

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
not really, 303 British and 30-40 Krag

i couldn't find rcbs 35-40 krag or 35 krag dies. the 35-303 british that ch4d makes is around $110 + s/h.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,137 Posts
It does not appear that a cartridge based on the .30-40 Krag will clean up the chamber of the 8x56R.

Reactions: tdoyka

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i finally got around to comparing both cartridges, its what MikeG says, the diameter of the krag is too small. so i'll rebarrel it or stay the same.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
my friend showed up and he wants a price that is beyond my capabilities, so i said no, thank you.

i noticed right off the bat, the stock was cracked(s), yes, plural. it didn't have a handgaurd or the two bands. the action and barrel are rusty(give them a bath, scrub bath, scrub........until it needs reblued. and while your at, bathe the magazine housing too. the bore looked fine(?), nothing better than elbow grease. he didn't have enbloc clips, so i'll take his word it function. i should have field strip it, but i quit going it over when he told the price.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts