Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seriously considering a Marbles Tang Sight for my 1895 Winchester (with tang saftey). I'll probably only work it out at the range, but it looks like it would be an interesting addition to the rifle. Does anyone have any experience with these? Do you recommend them? I like the looks the Lyman No. 2 better, but unfortunately they do not make one to fit the 95. At $125, they are a little more than buy it and toss it if you don't like it.

Attachments

·
Banned
126 Posts
Years ago my father had a Savage 99 (switch-barrel version) on loan that had a Marble's tang sight. It had the Merit adjustable iris insert. That was to be my first deer rifle with the .25-35 barrel in place. I shot it at the range several times and in the field a few more. With the iris set small it was a real target sight, although I could not achieve its potential. I always thought it was a good sight and as fast as a scope. I remeber it fondly, but, as my boys remind me, over that many years the memory dims and the mind fades.

I shoot receiver sights today on a few rifles and find that I can achieve decent accuracy in the field. On the bench, I have to work hard a good groups, but the larger tend to be the shooter and not the rifle. I think you will be pleased with the setup, but you have to place your thumb differently.

dclark

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I guess the thumb will have to go along the side, which with the setup of the 95 doesn't seem to be a problem. At least the way I shoulder it, the side thumb position doesn't unlatch the lever. I'm having 2 folding leaf express sights on a quarter rib put on the rifle. Which should be more than adequate for the type of hunting I'm wanting to use this rifle for. It'll be used in the alder and willow thickets, though may get shots across some muskeg patches at distances up to 100 yards, but most will probably quite a bit less. I think the tang will be more for the range. Kind of turning a serious hunting rifle into a range hobby on the "off season".

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have mounted three on my guns,one on a 86' ,one on a browning repo 95' and one on a rossi 92', don't have them in front of me ,but as i remember they are adjustable for windage,were the Lyman are not.
You mite want to contact Columbia Precision.com they have very strong peeps that have great adjustment.most are for the 86's and 94's but they do have a tall tang model that mite work,good group to talk to ,I installed on of their repo "beech sites" on an 86' to match the tang .

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lead,
Yeah, I looked at the Lyman sight last night and, at least the one I looked at, was not adjustable for windage, so the marbles seems to make a bit more sense for the range. I'll check the columbia precision site, thanks.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Tang peep

I've got a Marbles on my 7-30 rifle. Can shoot under one inch groups @100 yards and works great in the field. I will reccomend them except on a hard kicker. Please read Elmer Keith, he had a story of an old writers wife ( Paul Curtis) that shot steeply uphill with a tang peep on Savage 99 and injured her eye.

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
moose,
Thanks for that tidbit. It's been too long since I've read Mr. Keith's works. Yes, this sight will be a real mule kicker I'm afraid. Z-Hat is making the 1895 Winchester into a 411 Hawk. It's kind of an improved version of Colonel Whelen's 400 Whelen. Both are based on the 30/06 case, but the Hawk's case is blown out with minimum taper and the shoulder (what there is of it) has been moved forward. The plan is to use 350 grainers for general all purpose load and load up some 400 grainers for deer hunting in the thick and nasty stuff on Kodiak and Montague Islands and moose around Cape Suckling. The visibility is pretty close to zero in a lot of places and there lots of bears. I really haven't planned on using this tang sight for hunting purposes, mostly range work - just to see what I can do with that rifle. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Did you decide on a Sight yet? I went with a Williams on my Win. 1886 becausae of the Marbles and safety taking up the whole tang. I finally got an 1895 .405 and am looking at the Ashley because of the tang safety. It mounts to the top of the bolt.

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CUB,
I'm still thinking about the sight. Yep, still thinking about the Marbles. I'm sure the peep sights make more sense, but I really want to try a tang sight for this rifle. It will have a 2 folding leaf express sight system on a quarter rib for the rear sight, so I'm really just looking for something to play around with at the range. It's going to be awhile before the rifle comes back, so there's still plenty of time to ponder such things. I'll have to give you a call when it does come in and we can meet up at Rabbit Creek to do a little shooting with our 40 caliber '95s. I don't expect to get the rifle back till around the first of the year or so, so I expect we'll have to stay away from the avalanche conditions that surround Girdwood while shooting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts