Shooters Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was playing on the internet and found The March scope site They make some pritty big claims about there scopes. Has anyone out there seen, heard or know anything about these scopes. I have been looking at the high end scopes and am looking to purchase one for my next scope and I like to do my home work before I take the plung. I would like to get the best product for my money. Is there anyone out there that can help me and or give me any more options to make my decision easier or even more difficult. I am always looking for advice and information.

·
Banned
18 Posts
funshooter,

It depends on what you are going to use your next purchase for, that should be the factor in what "highend" scope you wish to buy.

I have used both the straight 50 ($1,400) and the 10x50-52 ($1,800) March scopes on benchrest rifles...which is what they where designed for and by....check this website www.benchrestcentral.com for some more info on that part of your post.

I also have a Tactical 36x55-52mm ($3,300 which includes a custom reticle with 5, 10 & 15 moa hold over lines with 1/8" dots) on an Open class F-Class rifle that is cambered in 6mmbrx, it is the cats a$$...beats the Nightforce in weight and power on both ends......priced fair concidering that they are almost one off type of production with only a few made each month. I kon't know of any better (equal) Target scope for the money on the Market today.......if Premier and Leupold had stayed together it might of been a different story. I still use some of the 20x50-50mm Long Range Target (new $968, now used about $1,100-$1,300 depending on reticle) scopes that Premier boosted in the late 90's.

If your really going to plunk down $1,500-$3,300 for a scope do your home work here on the web, check all the benchrest forums and also www.6mmbr.com in both the forums and in the Daily Bulliten as they test and compare scopes and other goodies!

Not to be out done S&B and Sightron both have 50 power stuff out there now also....of course the S&B that I have cost more than the March and I had to pay Duty Import Tax when I brought it here from the World Championship last year.....a small price to pay for such great glass.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Taildrag15X In your opinion is the S & B glass better , worse or the same as the March scope . I am primarilly a benchrest and target shooter and I do not have that great of eye sight so I need all of the help I can get. I was looking at the S & B 12.5-50 X50 scope when I ran accross The March site I was also looking at the Ziss Hesuolt but they do not go above 25 power. I would like to mount my next High power scope on an AR50 but if I can not find one that can handle that much recoil I have a Springfield custom built M21 that I can mount it to. I have a Swarovski 6-24 X 50 on the AR50 right now and would like to go with the higher powered scope on it and take the Swaro. and and put it on the M21. Or are there better options out there. Thank you for all of your input it helps with my decisions.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
High end scope help

I have been looking at some high end rifle scopes for the past two years. I have found the Ziess Hesolht , Swaovski , S & B and US Optics and have looked at them and compiared them for quite some time and them three days ago I found the March scopes. My question is. Is there other high end scopes out there that can be compiared to the bove list. I am looking into purchasing a high end for one of my rifles and I would like to know all of the options out there before I purchase the scope so as I get the rite scope. Can anyone help me find all of the high end scopes.

·
Banned
18 Posts
Taildrag15X In your opinion is the S & B glass better , worse or the same as the March scope . I am primarilly a benchrest and target shooter and I do not have that great of eye sight so I need all of the help I can get. I was looking at the S & B 12.5-50 X50 scope when I ran accross The March site I was also looking at the Ziss Hesuolt but they do not go above 25 power. I would like to mount my next High power scope on an AR50 but if I can not find one that can handle that much recoil I have a Springfield custom built M21 that I can mount it to. I have a Swarovski 6-24 X 50 on the AR50 right now and would like to go with the higher powered scope on it and take the Swaro. and and put it on the M21. Or are there better options out there. Thank you for all of your input it helps with my decisions.

AR-50 and M-21 Benchrest rifles? Never in a million years...but hear it goes.

I find that the S&B glass better than the March....BUT the choice of adjustments and reticle is a nightmare when trying to order a S&B....I had a hard time making up my mind and it came easier when I was in Europe and had one of each in front of me to judge by.

Not sure why your worried about RECOIL from an AR-50 for....I find it no worse than shooting a .243 Win sproting rifle, very lite, like the other rigs I own none make it hurt to shoot or I wouldn't own it. Even my cousins 20mm can be fired without thinking your teeth are going to fall out, at east twice cause the cost will KILL YA! I've owned and fired in competition benchrest and military 50's for over 25 years, I've used Leupolds, Weavers, Unertl's and NightForces and NOT ONE has ever broken due to recoil. But getting knocked around in the back of a van as it rolls over and over due to being pushed off the road by a drunk driver is not good for anything or anyone, but scopes can be repaired and improved.

I find that any Nightforce, S&B, Leupold, Premier, US Optics or March will hold up to paper punching private owner type use......the biggest part will be WHAT YOU WANT for reticle and adjustments, moa or mil.

Good luck,

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like the idea of the higher powers. And after using my Swarovski I now what the differance can make in the quality of the glass. I would like to use the high end scope as a spotting scope as well as for my bench shooting. The variable power will help with mirage just turn it down on the bad days. I purchased a 60 power spotting (Cytron) thinking that the high power would help me see 22 cal hole at 100 yards. It is a piece of junk it will not focus past 50 yards (poor quality glass)it even grays out at distance what a waist of money. I am past waisting money if it is worth buying it is worth spending the money (you get what you pay for) and that is why I have spent two years looking at scopes before I take the plunge. This why I ask so many questions and it probably seems like I repeat my self some times I want to make the best decision possible. Thanks to every one that gives me advice I appreciate all of the it I can get.

·
Banned
18 Posts
A rifle scope is a poor replacement for a quality spotting scope.....that said you also need to look at a good spotter like a Kowa or Swarovski and if that don't get you then you need what I and most of the 1000 yard guys use.....Remote Wireless Video System, a simple little Transmitter and Reciever with a Camera and a 12 vt. TV woks great for spotting for about $175-$250 depending on what you have on hand for a camera and how much you like yardsales for TV's.....I've found some FREE due to the change over, and even have a multi set up for others to try before they buy.

I don't know about you "Turning the power down due to mirage" as IMHO the more power the less mirage....as in you can see through the waves and "read" it better to know when to take your shot....that is if it works witht the wind flags also. At any 1K yd. Match you'll never see scops set on any thing less than MAX during firing....maybe in prep to line up on the number board (sometimes I have had to turn it down to find it) but the old addage "aim small, miss small, is true.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Taildrag15X I have never been to an organized competition (Shame On Me) I am pritty much self tought and I have a lot to learn. At the competitions what scope do most of the professionals use do they like the March scopes or do they prefur the S & B's or others. I have spoke to some of the competitors here in Communist California at the club I belong to and most of them do not have the time or even want to talk to you. Shotgun guys are different. But long range shooters stick to them selfs. It is very hard to make educated decision when all I have is looking at pictures on the internet none of the sales man at the gun shop i go to even know anything about high end anything. I have had them come to me for advice for there other customers and that SCARES ME becouse I only know what I have read and my small amount of being self tought. Can you give me any advice thank you for your input I realy appreciate it.

·
Banned
18 Posts
At most Benchrest Matches you'll find Leupolds, Nightforces, Marches, Sightron's and a few Weavers....for the F-Class crowd it's a big toss up of NightForce, Leupold, Sightron's, Weaver and Burris with the older Tasco's making the line at some. There is not ONE scope that is on everything....my advice would be get to a couple of Matches and see what's up....I don't know of any TRUE copmpetitor that doesn't like to talk equipment.....unless you start asking about his load as your next to him on the line....that don't fly, unless your beating him.....

check out the competetive shooting sites like Longrange.com or usrifleteam.com join and chime in....can't hurt.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you I have never been to a competition to bother anyone on the line I have just tried to talk to them at the range when I was there and they were there it gets kind of frustating some times so I have given up on even trying . So I guess I will start tring again Thanks agian.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.