Shooters Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the fair market price of a Weatherby Vanguard VGX, in .243 caliber with a 24 inch barrel? The condition is rated at 80 per cent with a few scratches on the wood? Are there any trouble spots to be aware of and how can you tell if a barrel has been virtually "shot out?" I haven't seen the Vanguard in a while. Are they still made and if not, is there any collector's value?

Thanks,
Timberwolf

·
Registered
287 Posts
Timberwolf- My favorite way of checking the "street" value of guns is to go to the various on-line auctions, and see what people are asking for them vs. what is actually being bid. There don't seem to be a lot of "sleepers" in the on-line auctions. As far as collectibility for a Vanguard, no way. Vanguards are now a "house" brand for Wal-Mart. The same rifle is sold as the Howa (the company that actually manufacturers them) 1500, it's also been known as the Smith & Wesson 1500 too. I believe Wal-Mart sells them in the &#36350.00 range but am not certain. Currently, there is also a recall on the 1500 for bolt modifications. As far as barrel condition, the simplest thing to do is to clean it, then shoot it. Most .243s I've seen don't get cleaned real religiously.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts