Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a Marlin in 44 magnum and I am curiuos as to anyones experience with this cartride in a rifle. What are the effective ranges, recommended handloads, recommended manufacturers bullets, experience in hunting deer, bear or whatever else ? What kind of velocities can be obtained ? Please offer any and all info.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Where to start? My Wife and I both hunt Whitetail with Marlins
1894 44Mag she shoots a 240gr Speer Gold Dot @1700fps
and I use Beartooths 290LFNGC .432 @1500FPS in mine, also I will use a Wichester BB in a 444 with the Beartooth.
The 44Mag in a rifle is a whole new animal some people say it's still just a Pistol round and it is, but thats the only thing it has in common with the pistol. Loaded with the proper bullets I would not feel under gunned in North America as long as you hunt like you have a Bow in your Hand and get close to your animal. It is one of the most Versatile Rifles Marlin makes as you can hunt small game as well with the right Bullets. It is fastly becoming my favorite hunting rifle It
is short,light, fast handling( with Peep sights),moderate kick
cheap to shoot cheaper if you Handload,so far Accurate with Jacketed and Hard Cast, and goes well with my 444's and our Ruger 44mags...................................................Marko

·
Banned
556 Posts
Brian Pierce at Rifle mag equates it to a 30-06 in effect on game, within it's range of 125yds or so.

With a peep and Beartooth's 265gr slug you have a nice match of sighting and cartridge capability, in a handy package. You will be confident you are not undergunned.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts