Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading what Marshall had to say about the .357 lever guns I had to get one.

What a fun little rifle. First time out to the range with 158 gr. Xtp and 16 gr. W296 groups ran about an inch at 50 yds or one big ragged hole after 5 shot group.

165 gr. cast with 4 gr. bullseye went about 3" ( I should have shot the cast before the jacketed stuff.

Any advice out there??

oldpete

·
Registered
59 Posts
Mine likes 180 grain WFNGC over 16.0 W296, CCI primer.
When new the front barrel band was very tight fitting causing vertical stringing so I loosened it up.
Also, it shot very high so I installed a Williams .450 high bead front sight with an AO Ghost Ring (small aperture).
Now it shoots just fine.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I mis-spoke about the sights: it shot high when the Ghost Ring was installed, then I installed the Williams front sight. The factory sights were OK.

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
Oldpete,

Ouch, you'll never be the same!  Those are such fun guns, once you have one, you'll never be without it!

As mentioned the 185g FNGC/16.0g H110/WSPP/.357 Brass (any brand) is my favorite full-snort load for the little shooter, delivering right at 1800 fps from 16 1/2" bbls.

For a fun load, I've got many, but the very best and most used is 160g FNBB/6.2g AA #5/WSPP/.38 spcl brass (any brand).  This load is a .38 spcl +P type load, and is such fun!  It shoots just a ragged hole at 50 yards in all of my guns, and has the noise level and recoil of a .22 Mag.  Great fun.  Especially with once fired .38 spcl brass being such the bargain it is today (just got some 2,000 pcs. cleaned and processed for 22.00 at a gunshow in Spokane, Wa.)

Too, you'll want to lap that little gun to releive the constrictions where the rear sight is dovetailed into the barrel, where the roll engraving is on the left side of the barrel just ahead of the receiver, and where the front barrel band is attatched as well.  Surprising, but some of those constrictions can be as tight as 0.003", and really inhibits the potential for cast bullet accuracy.  Too, it will almost totally eliminate any tendency to lead the bore.

Just a few thoughts, and congratulations on your great new companion!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Marshall,

As someone already stated, Should be a law that requires one in ever household, .357 Mag. Carbine that is.

oldpete

1 - 5 of 5 Posts