Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from Scotland~

Ive been looking at this rifle, possibly as a replacement for the .22 Hornet i sold. Seems like a good excuse to buy another Marlin !

Wondering what you guys can tell me about these rifles ???

Also wondering about if its possible or worth converting this rifle to .218 Mashburn ???

Any good for head shooting fox ?? Distance wise ??

Would be interested in any groups your rifles though ?? And experience on small game...............

Englander

·
Super Moderator
9,463 Posts
The round is a good one as is, pretty much the Hornet +150fps with each load catagory...but, the advice is to use flat nosed bullets, and there is a limited selection fo those avaialble. PROBABLY could shoot pointed bullets with only a minor danger of setting off a round in the magaizine (probably the greater danger would be from a sharp hit on the gun butt rather than recoil).

Onwed a Martini converted to .218 Bee but got to shoot one of the Marlins. Not going to put the bench rest boys in a frenzy looking for a lever gun to buy, anything that will consistantly shoot under 1 1/4MOA is to be treasured.

IF you actually use the flat pointed bullets, then the range will be less than that of a Hornet...even if you ream it to Mashburn, you'd about come out even with the Hornet by the 175 yard line.

HOWEVER, there isn't anything keeping a lever gunner from using whatever pointed bullet he desires so long as it is a two-shooter (one in the chamber/one in the mag. tube). Used this way, with good pointed 50gr. bullets, the range will be about 20% more than what you are use to with the hornet.

·
Banned
8 Posts
I had one for awhile but did end up selling it. They are fairly accurate but I wasn't able to make mine a tack driver, but then they really are not inteded for that purpose.

I did quite a bit of experimenting and in looking in my records, it shows that 11 grains of Win 296 under a 45 grain Sierra Hornet yielded the best results which was between 1.5 and 2.0 at 100 yds.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts