Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last year I bought a Marlin CBA 45-70. They were a special run of the octagon Cowboy 1895's made exclusively for Cabela's. They came with an 18 inch barrel instead of the normal Cowboy's 26 inch one. I like the octagon barrel and like a shorter barrel for the timber hunting I do. I had a couple of the 26 inch barreled Cowboy's, one in .38-55 and one in .45/70, and they were no fun to pack through thick lodgepole forests. I had to order this through Cabela's Nebraska warehouse, so didn't get to look it over before hand. When taking it home from the LGS, I could not believe how light this short rifle was, it felt like I was carrying home an empty box. It functioned fine, and the action and trigger were very decent. I smoothed up the spots that usually make a new action seem rough, the part of the hammer where the bolt rides over it to cock it back, and took the sharp edge off of the catch that holds the lever closed. I lubed it up well and cycled it a few hundred times. The trigger out of the box was 5 pounds with no discernible creep, after putting 150 rounds through it, and dry firing with snap caps, it now measures at 4 pounds. I worked up a cast load for the range of a 350 grain hard cast at 1300 fps., and a jacketed 405 hunting load that gets 1650 fps.
One thing I did was to install a Remington Super Cell pad. yes, I know, not very traditional on a Cowboy, but this 6 pound shorty kicks like a mule with my hunting load. I have had Win. 1886's and longer heavier Marlin's that were much more tolerable. This thing will be a joy to pack in the woods, but not as nice for the heavy loads as a heavier rifle would be.
I used a scope on it to work up the most accurate loads, then took it off to go back to the irons. I knew I'd eventually get a receiver peep for it, but haven't got around to ordering a Skinner sight yet. I was digging around in my drawer a couple days ago and found a Williams Peep I didn't know I had. At the range It was apparent that the Lyman globe front sight I had on it was too high, as I could not raise the rear sight enough to sight in. So I have since put a lower Williams FireSight front blade on it and will go back to the range today to sight in.
I might have to go out after Spring bear if I can get some time off from work.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Wow! That's a nice gun. I wish that I could find one for sale. I have a 26" 1895CB, but I don't want to shorten it.

Dan

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are still a few around at some Cabela's stores or at their warehouse. You could call a store, tell the guy you talk to what you are after, and he could look at other stores inventory. But the box is marked 1895 CB on these and the 26 inch ones. Make sure if one is located someone there looks in the box and verifies that is is a short one (CBA) or else you just might order in another 26 inch Cowboy. I saw one at the Billings, Montana Cabela's store and knew I wanted one, but didn't buy it then. I called back a week later and they said that they had sold it a few hours before, but the guy got on the computer and checked inventory at some other locations. He said there were a couple at the warehouse in Nebraska, so I paid for it over the phone and had them ship it to my LGS. If they have a couple maybe you could have the guy there take look over the wood and cycle it, and send you the best one. I was passing through Wichita a few weeks ago and saw one at the Cabela's there. They might still have it.

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
I sure wish I would have had that rifle back in the 70's & 80's when I rode a horse a lot in the bear country. It really makes a very fast handling rifle! The caliber is very hard to beat in my humble opinion.;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts