Shooters Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody shoot an old Marlin 1895 Square bolt? It would be interesting to know if it kan be shot with smokeless and jacketed bullets, or if it is a black powder only lead rifle.

Old Sh.

·
Registered
8,175 Posts
There are people who still shoot 1873 trapdoor Springfields in 45-70 and the SB Marlin would be a stronger action than that IMHO. I believe you'd still be able to shoot the lower powered loads made today without any problem in a well preserved rifle.

·
Banned
510 Posts
The ORIGINAL, and ONLY, Marlin 1895s all came with "Special Smokeless Steel" barrels. They are not black powder only rifles, not by a long shot. They can be fired with any reasonable smokeless loads for the caliber they are chambered in.

·
Registered
1 Posts
1895 Marlin

I have 1895 in 40-65. I had to get a firing pin for it. They do make 2 firing pins, one listed as smokeless and one black powder. From what I understand is the firearm was intially built starting in black powder loads and soon changed to smokeless. The bore on mine is to large to shot jacketed bullets well. I shoot slightly oversize cast bullets. I have fired a couple 100 rounds through mine and hunted with it, not getting anything yet.

I reload 40-65 with 260 grain cast bullet in nickel plated cases from Midway. Powder I have been using is Accurate 5744.

Accurate 5744 is an extremely fast burning, double-base, extruded powder. This unique powder can be used in a wide range of rifle calibers and magnum handguns. 5744 is characterized by excellent ignition and consistency over a very wide performance range. Low bulky density and superior ignition characteristics make 5744 an excellent choice for reduced loads in many rifle calibers and in large capacity black powder cartridges such as the 45-70 through 45-120 and 50-90 through 50-120. Made in Canada.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.