Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a used Marlin 336 today and am curious about it's trigger. I've been told "it's just the nature of the beast" but just want to get a little more insight, especially since this forum has a section dedicated to lever guns. The trigger has a little play in it with the action open, shut, hammer cocked or not. The play doesn't seem like its a damaged trigger to me because its play is from back to front (anything forward from the threshold). The trigger response is still positive in that once you pull it back that hammer does drop and it's not spongy. Any insight would be MUCH appreciated.

·
Beartooth Regular
7,776 Posts
It's normal. IIRC, the trigger isn't solidly connected to the sear because of the way the lever safety works. That's the pin that projects below the trigger plate when the lever isn't right up tight. It's a safety feature that prevents firing unless the lever is all the way up, and the bolt completely locked. Some of the Marlin mechanics here can give you a more detailed explanation, I'm sure.

Bye
Jack

·
Registered
827 Posts
If your trigger pull is too rough or hard, you can install a Wild West Guns "Happy Trigger" which will eliminate the flop and give you a light, crisp trigger. If the trigger is decent or you feel comfortable tuning it yourself, the "flop" can be ignored, like stated above, it is part of the design.
Andy

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Man this is the best message board EVER haha. Thanks for the quick reply guys! My roommate went looking around here last night and found the post about the Marlin flop. If it's intended to be like that I'll probably just let it be instead of the Wild West trigger because I like the class of the factory gold trigger.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Think of it as a two stage military trigger and learn it. Or get it adjusted by a professional. Of course you could do it yourself with a little research if you are so inclined. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Your trigger is two piece, thats why the flop. The older Marlins had one piece and did not. No big deal, if it bothers you all you really have to do is take it apart and make it into a one piece. Pin, JB Weld, Leave it, it won't flop around when it is cocked.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I don't like the flop and have WWG triggers in all but one of my 336's. In my unprofessional but experienced opinion, the WWG trigger is the best $100 you can spend if you plan on doing much serious shooting or hunting with your Marlin.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'll vouch for the Wild West trigger. After buying the 336 new about a month ago, I couldn't get a decent
group at the 225 yard distance at the range. 100 yards ,were nice. The 225 was disapointing. I read all about how the balistics of the 30/30 were not stable after about 175 yards. Tried the Hornady ammo ,that everyone speaks well of,and had little improvement. I checked the triigger pull at the local gunsmith ,and it was at 6.5 lbs. - Way too much. He quoted me between $90 -$150 for him to work on it. I knew I could get the WW trigger for $90 , and still have the original in case I sell,or decide to re-install it for whatever reason. Well , the trigger arrived yesterday,and I installed it within 10 minutes, and headed to the range. What an improvement! All groups were improved on from prior trips at the 50 and 100 yard distance. Headed over to 225, and I'm all smiles. I'm guessing pull is down in the 2.5lb. area.
Light and crisp, as others have described. The 225 yard groupings were all under 3" with regular 150/170 Winchester,Remington,and Federal ammo. Very impressive. Half the groups were under 2in. Anybody who's on the fence, JUMP ! Best $90 improvement money could buy.

·
Banned
1 Posts
Your trigger is two piece, thats why the flop. The older Marlins had one piece and did not. No big deal, if it bothers you all you really have to do is take it apart and make it into a one piece. Pin, JB Weld, Leave it, it won't flop around when it is cocked.
Please, I'm new to this world, and I'm rather simple minded. Could you please explain
"Pin, JB Weld, Leave it"
I understand the JB Weld and leave it, but what do you mean by "Pin"?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts

He means to simply drill and pin the trigger and sear together. The Factory made it that way so it doesn't bother me. One question does bother me, how did all my Winchesters get "Marlin flop"?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts